Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Verchios Produce Market on the Brooklawn Circle

I just started a juice fast on Monday, and I was so glad to have Verchio's Produce Market where you can get ANY vegetable or fruit you can think of in massive quantities and cheap!  It has cost me less than $10 a day to do this juice fast.

My juice fast journey began with a documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" about an Australian man with 100 pounds overweight and a few diseases both full blown and on the way.  He launched himself on a 60 ay juice fast, lost the weight, cured the diseases, got off medications and started this new business to spread the good message about juice fasting.  In his documentary, he has medical supervision and information from experts who might be familiar to you from channel 12 such as Dr. Fuhrman.  

I am a very health conscious person and I have a good regiment of the gym, and a walk every day (well - most days, averaging 4 or 5 days per week).  And I am a vegetarian for most of my live.  When I raised my daughter I added fish and chicken to our diet because I was afraid to raise a developing child on a vegetarian diet.  It seemed like an experiment then and I wasn't much of a cook so I was afraid of not providing enough protein.  I know better now.

Anyhow, despite all that, the occasional treat and a tendency to overeat from time to time, raised my weight to an uncomfortable level.  It doesn't take much, as I can attest - just throw 300 calories a day into your diet and reduce your exercise and you can see a steady and gradual weight gain over time.  I used to walk to stay slim - 5 to 6 miles a day, but my knees went bad, and I was reduced to 2 miles a day.  That plus a fondness for cheese and crackers, and other things, aded up to a 50 pound overage.

Twice I have lost the 50 pounds and stopped paying attention to my diet and gained it back slowly over a few years.  The best plan I had was when I joined Barrington Royal Fitness and went on a 1000 calorie diet with an hour walk each day - when I was still working!  I lost the 50 pounds in a year!  I felt like I had lost 20 years too.  

Now I find I cannot hold onto a land or longer than 4months, so I needed, as my heart doctor, Dr. Taditit of the Heart House put it "Something New."  I tried weight watchers, which worked for 10 weeks and 12 pounds, but then my senior citizen 10 week plan for $110 ran out and I gained it back.  I didn't want to pay out $40 a month for a regular membership.  I did weight watchers 3 times!  

So far on day 4 of the juice fast I have lost 4 pounds and I feel perfectly fine.  I worried about proper bowel function, so I opted to modify and have one small meal a day, breakfast, banana and cereal with almond milk, and then fast the rest of the day on the juice.

I make the juice once every other day and store a pitcher in the fridge, which lasts for a day and a half at an 8 ounce glass every two hours.  I get hungry, drink the juice, and it really does stop the hunger.  For the rest of the day, I keep to my usual schedule of gym, walk, lessons, chores, and so on.  Yesterday, I skipped the gym to work on a painting I had begun the day before.  Then I did my ukulele practice, my piano practice, went to my lessons, and came home to read and watch tv.  I had yoghurt and banana for breakfast and a cup of herbal tea later in the day, plus juice every 2 hours till bedtime.  

So that is this pilgrim's progress so far on the quest for fitness and health and a long life.  I'll keep you posted.  The restaurant where I am going for lunch is in either Marlton or Medford.  It is called Iliano's and they have a delicious minestrone soup that I like a lot.  Hiking in the woods with a pal and my dog, Trixie, after lunch.

Happy Trails,
if you want to talk to me about the juice fast use my e-mail.
wrightj45@yahoo.com
Jo Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment