Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Living History Re-Enactments and other live performance providers

If you like history and you have an event, you might like to consider entertaintment such as storytelling for an alternative to a DJ, for example.

One of my best and oldest friends, Dorothy Stanaitis has been providing storytelling programs for adults for many years since her retirement from library work.  She was a Children's
 Program Director, and also had a story time television program for children, but when she retired she branched out into storytelling for adults.  She has many fine programs in American History such as "Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggarman, Thief"  and "Rumors, Scandals, and Dirty Rotten Lies" to name just a few, and the one I saw recently was "Don't Touch That Dial" which was a nostalgic look at Radio programs from the Golden Age of Radio.  

When I worked as a Historic Site volunteer, I met many Character re-enactors from living history programs, George Washington, Dolly Madison, Molly Pitcher, and Jane Austen, to list just those that came most quickly to mind - oh yes, and Sojourner Truth.  I myself portrayed an Abolitionist on the Underground Railroad for several years for Camden County Historical Society for a completely different set of program directors who were in charge a few years back.  I based my character on Abigail Goodwin of Salem, New Jersey.

Recently at the Coffee Shop Railroad Station in Merchantville, I picked up a card for a Living History Re-Enactor whose program was called "Notorious" and she portrays Lizzie Borden, Typhoid Mary, and the Bride of Frankenstein: Lightning Strikes Twide.  Info from her card says, "For More info on Notorious Women of History contact Kate @ 856-912-1082 and NotoriousDames.com also you can e-mail her at Decotique.info@verionnet.  A vintage apparel shop it is located at 13 N. Centre St., Merchantville, NJ 08109

This made me think of characters I would like to see portrayed, Heroic Women.  The bad girls always get so much attention but the good ones change the world:  Clara Barton, Margaret Sanger, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth White, Ida B. Wells, Billy Jean King, to name just a few - though I guess you shouldn't do women who are still alive and perfectly capable of doing themselves such as Ms King.  So scratch that name off the list, maybe put Babe Didrikson in there instead.  And of course, my personal favorites Abigail Goodwin of Salem, NJ and Alice Paul of Mount Laurel, NJ.

I wish I were younger and had more energy, I would do it myself. How much fun that would be!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment