Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Textile Art and Historical Connection: SHEEP TO SHAWL

at the Burlington County Historical Society
November 11 at 2:00 p.m.
$5
454 Lawrence Street, Burlington City, NJ
856-386-4773

Throughout my several years of experience with historical programs as a volunteer, docent, and tour guide, I have been fascinated with the place of fabric in Colonial lives and indeed, in modern lives as well.

I have actually tried several kinds of fiber arts, I have knitted, and woven, and at one point in my life, I made all my own clothes, and all my daughter's clothes.  Learning how to sew in high school was a great benefit to my future.

My grandmother was a quilter which added to my interest.  When you think of flax farming, harvest, preparing the plant to remove the fiber, spinning the flax into yarn and weaving it into linen, you see the arduous process it took to make the most stable fiber product of the 1700's.  Right next to it of course was wool production, especially for winter use, in blankets, cloaks, shawls, mittens heavy stockings and other essentials.

I hope I can get to this event and I hope you can too!

Happy Trails,

Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment