Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Vegan Menu at the Colonial Diner

Yesterday, Wednesday, May 1st, a friend and I went to lunch at the Colonial Diner.  My friend, Barb, is a vegan, I have a few vegan friends.  I am vegetarian.  I tried vegan for almost a year, but I really don't want to give up cheese or coffee cream, so I compromise and buy ONLY certified cruelty free eggs, and eat vegetarian the rest of the time.

If you are wondering what the difference is between vegan and vegetarian, vegans eat NO animal products - that means no honey, no eggs, no dairy.  Vegetarians just don't eat animals.  

All over the world people have different levels of acceptance of what kinds of animals to eat and how much.  For example in many parts of the world, the diet is predominantly vegetarian, such as India.  In India, cows are sacred.  In China, they eat dogs!  

I began to eat vegetarian in the 1970's after reading Frances Moore Lappe's DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET.  I feel compassion for other animals, abhor cruelty, and I respect and love the planet earth.  
So, I try to eat responsibly for the health of my planet, my fellow creatures, and my own health.

It was with surprise and delight that my friend and I found an enormous menu of vegan and vegetarian food choices at the Colonial Diner.  She had heard about this, and we went to try it out. 
The Colonial has been in business for 40 years.  I knew it from the old days but had not been there since it was renovated and the menu changed.  I ordered the Green Goddess salad, romain, avocado, tomatoes, olives,  roasted tofu, and warm pita slices.  Barb had the chili tortillas with sides of brown rice and black beans.  Both were delicious!  Both lunches came with vegan muffins for desert and cost around $15.

The Colonial is located on the northern entrance to Woodbury, 924 North Broad, Woodbury, phone - 856-848-1935

People usually ask, how can you be sure you are getting enough protein if you eat vegetarian or vegan.  Many foods aside from meat have protein including many kinds of vegetables and beans rice and grains, and if you are vegetarian, so does dairy.  Also, the average woman needs 45 grams of protein per day and the average man needs 55 according to Fed. Gov. guidelines.  If you have doubts, you can always supplement with a protein drink.  Mine has 30 grams in it and there are vegan protein drinks as well.  Mine is Pure Protein, caramel flavor from Walmart and costs about $6 for a four pack.  

If you'd like to give it a try, experiment with one day a week, and try vegetarian first then move on to vegan.  Vegan is, admittedly a bit more difficult.  I have found that most places have vegetarian choices, such as veggie burgers, even some fast food places although you may have to ask and it may not be on the menu.  You can always take a pack of veggie burgers from Shop Rite to a picnic and ask the host to put them on the grill, but you might find everyone else eating your veggie burgers because they are curious and veggie burgers are GOOD.

As more and more people become concerned with their health, their  weight, and environmental issues, you will see vegan and vegetarian becoming more common.  Check out the menu at the Colonial for good food ideas!

In the summer when the weather is hot and I don't feel like eating hot foods, I lean heavily on smoothies made in my Bullet.  A banana, an apple, some blueberries or strawberries, a yoghurt and some almond milk makes a filling and healthful summer lunch or dinner!

At the check-out at the ShopRite today, I picked up a booklet put out by Prevention called EAT CLEAN.  I will let you know what I learn from it after I read it.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment