Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Saddler's Woods MORE and Gabreil Daveis Tavern

Today, SundayOctober 13, 2019, I am headed to the Legacy Diner in Audubon for lunch with a history buff friend, Barb Solem, author of 3 books on the Pines, one on Ghosttowns, one on Batsto and one on The Forks.  After lunch we are going to the open house at Gabreil Daveis Tavern in Glendora, address, Fourth Avenue and Floodgate Road.  Gabriel Daveis Tavern was once a stopping and resting point for boatmen using the Timber Creek to ferry goods to Phladephia, goods such as timber and farm products.  Behind the Tavern House, which is a beautiful building very well preserved, you can walk down a path to the Timber Creek, which, sadly is all silted up from construction on the land beyond the banks, so there isn't much creek left now.

I keep remembering things I learned from the hike in Saddler's Woods yesterday, amazing things such as:  the amount of unbroken nuts left on the ground (accords) beneath a tree, as they deteriorate over time, release a chemical into the ground which tells the tree how much nuts to produce the following year.  As for instance if a lot of nuts are left over and not eaten, the tree produces fewer nuts the next year!  That hike in the woods was so informative, although I knew with my aging memory, I couldn't remember everything, there was so much information that I keep remembering bits as the day goes on, such as, for instance, the shape of the branches at the top of the tree canopy can tell you if it is an old or young tree.  The top branches will be crumpled in a claylike shape if the tree is old, unfurled into a fan shape if the tree is young.  I can't remember if I told you but the guide showed us how to estimate a tree's height using triangulation with  a roll out tape measure and a yardstick and a little geometry.  Unforntuately, I had to take a rest during that part because my back was acting up and I have over done it a little this week.

That brings me to another subject.  Most of the things if not all of them, that I mention in this blog, are things I can do, so you can too!  I am 73, going to be 74 in a month and I have ruined knees a painful hip, and a deteriorating spine.  I expect within this upcoming year, I will be resorting to a cane.  But all of the places and events I have been blogging about are accessible to me and so they would be to you.  Possibly not to a wheelchair (as in the trail in Saddler's Woods) but certainly the workshop the week before - and many of the building I go to are also wheelchair accessible in part if not the whole.  A lot of the houses have stairs, but I can't climb them anymore either, so I usually wait down the first floor if a tour goes up stairs.

Don't forget to get a copy of the calendar of events for October History Month - it is chock full of interesting places to go and things to do!  Get up and get out - the world is waiting!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment