Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Some things to watch on tv (or if you are like me, on the laptop!). My cousin recommended THE CHOSEN, which is onNETFLIX and I think I may have th etitle slightly wrong, but it is about Jesus a good choice before Easter. I plan to watch it as soon as I finish a series that I wouldn't recommend called CASTLE which is on Hulu. I only watch it because it is more or less light and that is what I needed recently.

I spent a very well placed $60 to subscribe to PBS Passport for one year. It gives you access to every pbs program which includes Finding Your Roots, NOVA, pbs Newshour, and American Experience, among many others. Also, they send me e-mails telling me about new programs. I mentioned one in an earlier post called FIGHT THE POWER, which although it was the history of Hip Hop which many people don't care for, was actually a very fine and fascinating social commentary on urban African American Experience as it is translated and expressed via Hip Hop and Rap. I do recommend that! Also American Experience has this one coming up: March 28 at 9/8c

  The Movement and the “Madman" shows how two antiwar protests in the fall of 1969 — the largest the country had ever seen — pressured President Nixon to cancel what he called his “madman” plans for a massive escalation of the U.S. war in Vietnam, including a threat to use nuclear weapons. At the time, protestors had no idea how influential they could be and how many lives they may have saved.

The Vietnam War divided many families as it did mine. I felt deeply about the war, my brother went to Vietnam and I am eternally grateful to be able to say he came home and we just spoke on the phone a few hours ago as we do most day. He got to be 75 which so many other young men did not. I felt the war was unjustified and a waste of lives both Vietnamese and American. The protest in the program above is one I attended in a bus provided by WOMEN IN LEAGUE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM. It goes without saying that my father, a WWII navy veteran was furious at my stance and believed we should support our country right or wrong. I felt that was the same line the Nazi regime put forth to the German people and that we should stand up if we believe our country is headed in a bad direction. We got past it, especially as my brother came home alive and my husband, drafted but sent to Germany, and I came back safely from our overseas adventure.

Happy Trails! Jo Ann wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment