Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Places to Go and Eat and Think

Today, I was out having lunch with two close friends and we were talking about our favorite places to eat lunch. All three of us mentioned The Station, 10 E. Chestnut St., Merchantville, NJ. I love everything about this place, the ambience, the food is ot of this world and very healthful, and there is an art galery as well as, great gifts, cards, and super delicious coffee and passtry. What better way to spend a lazy spring afternoon than lunch at the Station and a coffee and pasty to take home for dessert! Enjoy the art while you enjoy the food. The chef here is a marvel! Did I mention the roasted red pepper tomato soup? That soup and a vegan blt is a perfect combination.

The Station in Merchantville https://www.merchantvillestation.com The Station / Coffee, Art, Culture. We have art classes, a gallery, live music events, cake catering, photography studio, retail store and much more all ... ‎Station Coffee Menu · ‎Eilandarts Center · ‎Events

My friends and I were having lunch at Charlie Browns in Woodbury, NJ when the discussion came up. We LOVE the SALAD Bar there and we are not salad bar peope in general. Charlie Browns salad bar is always terrifically fresh as well as full of an array of salad dishes. On top of or beside your mixed greens with shaved carrots, you could have pasta salad, rice salads, potato salads, beans, beets, olives a few different kinds of seed such as sunflower seeds, olives, grated cheese, and I could go on and on. There is also always a tray of fresh bread: today it was French bread and corn bread but my favorite is cranberry walnut bread.

One of the things I am grateful for in both of these places is that they recognize that most people come to a cafe' for lunch not for someone else's choice of music. Since my friends and I eat out often, we are especially gratified when we don'e find ourselves in a blaring din of someone's favorite music play list. We actually like one another; we like to converse when we get together, food and conversation are our main pleasures in eating out. From time to time, we have asked a proprietor to lower the music so we could hear one another, and often, they are courteous enough to cooperate, but a few places have had to be crossed off our list because the din made it impossible for us to relax or talk. I mention this with the hope that the message might find itself in the ear of food establishments. Thank you! Meanwhile, I cannot mention lunch without mentioning the go-to place of my Burlington County friends who are kind enough to come down my way since i have trouble with the highways (my eyesight has begun to fail)- MARITSA'S in Maple Shade! Always cozy, clean, and comfortable, this place is one of our regular haunts and I recommend the eggplant parmigian, my favorite! Everyone here is so warm and friendly, it is a regular!

Bon apetit my friends! Jo Ann

wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment