Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, March 16, 2024

St. Patricks Day - Irish Literature

It seems only fair to write about Irish literature on the eve of St. Patrick's Day. I am watching a series on Netrlix called The Rebellion, which is excellent, but more about that later. First and foremost I want to mention an Irish Poet who was my teacher when I was in college: Basil Payne. He was the kindest, most humble and lovely man, so unlike the pompous male English Department professors I knew at the time. I just bought my third copy of his book of poetry, Another Kind of Optimism.

Also I wanted to remember Edna O'Brien who wrote The Country Girls Trilogy which was a big favorite of mine in my late teens, early twenties and which came out in 1960. It was three books that tell a coming of age story when I was coming of age myself. I can't remember much about it except that I loved it.

So these were my favorite Irish authors. According to google the following list is the most famous Irish authors:

Great Irish Writers

James Joyce. James Joyce is usually the first name that pops in to people's heads when they think of Irish writing.

Oscar Wilde.

W.B Yeats.

Roddy Doyle.

Bram Stoker.

Maeve Binchy.

Jonathan Swift.

Samuel Beckett.

I have loved W. B. Yeats poetry, and enjoyed one or two of Maeve Binchy's novels, such as Under the Copper Beech Tree, but I would't say she was greater than Edna, and why not bput Edna on the list anyhow? I have read Roddy Dole and, of course, Jonathan Swift (in my college English survey course-Gulliver's Travels). We all know Bram Stoker's Dracula though I doubt anyone has recently read it. And again, in my college survey course, I read Oscar Wilde's Importance of Being Earnest and don't remember anything about it, but I do remember the Portrait of Dorian Gray. As for Samuel Beckett, I saaw a television version of his play Waiting for Godot and that's all I have to say about that. Conession, I could only make heads or tails out of Ulysses by listening to it on audio tape (somewhat, anyhow).

Thomas Flanagan gets nary a mention although his trilogy on Irish history is probably the most well known and most widely read of contemporary writers on Ireland and the best introduction to the broad sweep of the modern era of The Struggles: The Year of the French, The Tenants of Time, The End of the Hunt. I read them all and found them thrilling and immensely informative. Big recommendation to anyone interested in what happened in Ireland in the last 125 years.

Well, it is time for me to get back to my series on Netflix, The Rebellion, which I mentioned up in the first paragraph. Starting with the Easter Rebellion of 1914, it is very well done and goes nicely with Billy Collins a very recent film nearly ruined by Julia Robert's inability to even make a ghost of an attempt at an Irish accent. The solution would have been to let her play an American character rather than an Irish woman with an American accent!

Before I leave, Lady Gregory is tugging on my sleeve! I enjoyed her play The Rising of the Moon but she is most famous for her book on Irish Myth which I didn't read. She is also famous for co-founding the Abbey Theater and keeping Irish theater and literature alive during the worst years of British repression and tyrrany in Ireland, the 1930's.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, and in case you are wondering, yes, my mother's family is of Irish descent. The family name was McQuiston and they were what was known as Scots/Irish Protestans (Episcopalians) from the North although my grandfather's family (Lyons) were Irish Catholics from the South (the Republic).

Slainte (pronounced Slancha)

No comments:

Post a Comment