Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"We Shall Fight on the Beaches"

Since the commemoration a couple of weeks ago of D-Day, June 6, 1944, I have been watching a series of documentaries on the 2nd World War featured on Verizon On Demand - History Channel, Smithsonian and Military Channel.  A 4 part series on Smithsonian, called Apocalypse, is excellent with never before seen color film footage.  This Sunday, I'll be going to the World War 2 Look-out tower at Cape May with my cousin Patty who made a donation towards its restoration in honor of my father who served in the US Navy in both the North Atlantic and the South Pacific.  I will write again after I have visited the memorial.

This is NJersey's last restorable Look-ut tower from the war period according to the web site.
http://www.capemaymac.org/content/subpage_main.aspx?id=2030

In the maintime, I'll be taking a boat ride on the Maurice River out of Millville and I'll let you know about that as well.

Tomorrow is the first meeting of teh Museum Club of the Bayshore Discovery Project. 

More on all of these events afterwards.  Enjoy exploring our wonderul state in this cool and refreshing weather.  See you on the trail or on the water!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment