Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Some things that look like fun in May

Whenever I am out for lunch for for events, I pick up the flyers and booklets about places to go and things to do.  One of the best for Camden County small towns is called Out and About.  I clipped four events that looked appealing to me:

May 12 - Down by the Station Day from 10 to 3 - FREE with a number of events for families, children, and model train aficionados.  I love model trains and I really like the men who have the Delaware and Susquehanna Model Railroad Club, which will have their platform up and running in the train station in Haddon Heights, there will also be train film in the Borough Hall auditorium.  

May 17th Thursday night will feature Cruise Night again in Collingswood.  Although I am no car expert I do enjoy the classic cars and the memories they inspire.  For example one Cruise Night a few years back, there were a number of VW camper vans from the 1960's and 1970's and as I had lived and traveled in one in 2969 for a year, it brought back a lot of memories.  

May 6, Clover Market just off Haddon Ave. on Irvin Street.  I am sorry I will have to miss this event as I am meeting a friend for lunch and heading over to Camden County Historical Society for a lecture on archaeological discoveries about the Native Americans who lived where Camden and Gloucester City are now.  The CCHS is right behind Lady of Lourdes Hospital and the talk is a 2:00 if you are looking for something interesting tomorrow afternoon.  You could probably grab lunch at the Clover Market from a food truck and then head on over for the lecture - what a fun day that would be!

In Cherry Hill on June 12 at 7:00 pm. there will be a flower show at the Tilelli Community Center, 820 Mercer Street, Cherry Hill, FREE.  I have never been to this flower show and I would like to go and I probably will be able to a now that it stays light longer I can attend some evening events

Last night I went to the Train Station in Merchantville for the Eilandarts 4 Corners, Nature in Art show (which will be up all month of May) and it was delightful.  I ran into 2 artist friends of mine with work in the show, Colleen Hammond and Diane Paul, and we had a fine time visiting and viewing the art which was varied and beautiful and inspiring.
There is a coffee shop there and I think they serve various kinds of food along with a good many kinds of pastries to go with your coffee and many people were enjoying coffee and treats at the outside patio tables because it was such a stunningly beautiful evening altogether.

Spring is finally here in all its glory, so get out and ENJOY!
Today I am off to Pratt's Garden, 158-B County Home Rd., Pilesgrove, to see the azaleas which are in full flourish at present.  Now, pay attention - that s PRATT's not Platt's.  I was at Platt's Garden center three times already for plants this spring.  Pratt's is a private garden opened to the public for walking and enjoying the flowers and for bridal photographs.  I have never been there before and today is so gloriously perfect a spring day that I am very much looking forward to going there.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment