Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Where I get my information & October History Week

Yesterday I dropped by two libraries and the Camden County Historical Society on Euclid Blvd. right behind Lady of Lourdes Hospital and Haleigh Cemetery, off Rt. 130.  I had just received the CCHS bulletin which described their upcoming events and ongoing programs.  They mentioned the first weekend in October was History Week and they have a "Passport" available listing the events.  The passport will be ready for pick-up after Sept. 26, so I will be going back, also available at that time will be the newest history magazine they have been publishing which is excellent.

I digress - e-mail is another way I get information on what is going on and I received an e-mail lately that said the latest SOJOURN history magazine is available.  You CAN get it via amazon.com and you can get it at 2nd Time Around Bookstore in Rancocas Woods - you may remember I recommended The Little Kitchen for lunch there for a nice day trip, and a cookie and coffee at the coffee shop a few doors down after antique and craft browsing!

At the Libraries - Collingswood and Haddon Twp. I picked up another Audubon Adult Education brochure.  They have a lot of classes to offer.  Of interest to me were the half dozen classes on dog behavior and training.  As I may have mentioned I adopted a new dog in June when my saintly and beautiful Trixie, a Weimaraner Lab mix passed away from a stroke.  Anyhow to reiterate - you can do a one day adoption at Camden County Animal Shelter.  My new trainer is Steve Spence recommended by the vet techs at my veterinarian Dr. Sheehen, in Fairview.  He is a marvelous vet, many time winner of BEST of South Jersey.  I previously had Janice Barlow also.  

What to do and Where to Go from the Libraries:  FREE PUBLICATIONS -
Out & About, serves Audubon, Barrington, Cherry Hill, Collingswood, Haddon Heights, Haddon Twp., Haddonfield, Lawnside Oaklyn, Woodlynne.  One of the interesting things I found there was the info on visiting the Peter Mott House.  I followed the Underground Railroad trail for a few years when I was doing school programs for CCHS and I visited many sites from Greenwich and Othello to Saddler's Woods and Lawnside.  Peter Mott is a very interesting visit on that trail.  Pick up Out & About and read about it!

Today's Senior offers many tips on health and senior living.  I always enjoy it.

Golden Times is another great newspaper with tips on health and wellness and strategies for thriving at a challenging time of life.

There are often local events flyers available at the libraries.  Haddon Twp and Collingswood also have $1 handbook sales.  Upcoming - Sept. 17, Monday, free CHAIR  YOGA at Haddon Twp. at 10:15 and again on Oct. 24.  It is recommended that you call to reserve your space.  It is a popular class of about 10 to 12 people.  I have taken it whenever it is offered as my knees are no longer able to maneuver getting up and down off the floor for floor yoga!

When I get these newspapers, flyers and pamphlets, I pass them on to a friend who passes them on to her friends living in a senior center.  Not everyone has a computer and even those who do, may not know where to look to get information on places to go and things to do  Since I find so many, I thought in this post instead of trying to type them all in, I would send you straight to the source!

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment