Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Another thought about THE BRITISH ARE COMING, Rich Atkinson

Sometimes a book is such as pervasive experience that long after you have finished it, it is still happening in your life. 

This morning I was reading a book review of Frank Dikotter's new book: HOW TO BE A DICTATOR - THE CULT OF PERSONALITY IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY.  Those of us who lived through a good part of the twentieth century had the opportunity to observe several world infamous dictator's most notably Adolf Hitler, his sidekick Benito Mussolini, Emperor Hirohito, and our own pre-Revolution King George of Britain.  

One of the remarkable aspects to the personality of our George Washington, as portrayed in THE BRITISH ARE COMING, was his ability and tendency to share decision making and power.  He could have been king but he deferred to a democracy.  In most if not all of the decisions he made during the war, he gathered his generals and not only asked their opinions, but listened to them and adjusted his own ideas to fit any superior idea that came of the discourse.  

The first line in the review of the Dikotter book is:  "Dictatorship, has in one sense been the default condition of humanity."  He goes on to describe it in view of hereditary monarchy, chiefdom, patriarch, and all the many forms it has taken.  In view of this observation, which I think any knowledge of history would have to reveal, it is remarkable, almost miraculous, that George Washington did not give in to the personal ambition that brought him to the head of the army and could have made him the king of the new republic of America.  

I am not going to order this book because I am knee deep in books I have ordered this month and I have to read some of them before I order any more, but I may keep this essay.  If you want to read it, it is page 84 in The New Yorker, December 23, 2019.  There may be a copy at the local library or on-line.  Actually, I my bring it to the Whitall History Club in January as a conversation piece!  If you want to borrow my copy, you could meet me there.  James and Ann Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, National Park, NJ.  We meet at 11:00 on January 10, a Friday.  I can't tell you what a treat it is to be able to talk history with other interested people.  Few of my friendship group share this interest and the ones who do, are specific to other historical subject areas such as the Pinelands.

Happy Trails and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment