Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Pandemic and Math

I just have to get this down somewhere.  I think we need a 'calculation' formula to evaluate each county and then each state.  I don't know how to write that kind of equation, but it could be composed of these factors.  Sorry I don't speak "Math" and I only have a sketchy, literally scratching the surface of the deep subject of math.  However, a formula using each county as a base factor
county
population
starting date of arrival of Covid 19
number of new cases
mortality rate

C=p, a factor for arrival date, number of new cases
and the basic equation could be adapted as a section of a ratio type evaluation matrix.  Kind of like instruction sets in programming.  How I wish I could have learned that language, but sadly, we don't all have our abilities in the same sector or sectors.  I have my skill set in the Language Arts/Art world, reading, prose writing, painting, poetry.  But I have an expanding umbrella type mental experience not a tie the knots and follow the patterns experience and I found math could not hold my attention so well or so pleasantly as Art and Literature, so I couldn't follow through with it, I drifted off in equations, out the window into the blue sky, the small gray airplane like a little vacuum cleaner cleaning between the clouds.  And BOOM, the link in the equation was G O N E.  But the place it went to was so much better that i chose not to collar and leash and train it.    

If there are some things I wish I could have done but found quickly I could not succeed in accomplishing, it would include computer programming, a musical instrument, chess, and numbers which circles around again to computer programming.  

But when you learn a little, sometimes you can apply it to a lot and what I learned has been immensely useful to me in life and this pandemic period is especially rich in math being used to make decisions such as the R ratio.  It is is the number used to caculate how quickly and widely the virus is spreading.  So you want a low rate of origin person, and the replication rate to others.  It looked like this 1.9(for one person is infecting .9 of others)  The infection rate has to get lower for the danger to be lower.  That could be adapted, or even just put on a list of risk factor calculation conditions.  But to do any of it we need to widespread testing to find out who has it.

A fellow on the BBC World News was saying that what we should be paying attention to no is how much data collection is becoming the new normal and how surveillance is spreading and becoming both familiar and accepted.  We all accept cctv and willingly give our dan to companies like ancestry.com.  But it seems to me of the multitude of ways to you can view of what's happening, that is most concerning is the virus, although I don't know what I could do about the data collection.  I wouldn't want to be an off the grid hunting cabin paranoid.

So threes math, politics, sociology, law, science (all the people talking about the effects of the pandemic on climate change science as well as top dog MEDICINE.  And top of my list, an old favorite - MORTALITY

I have NEVER spent as much time thinking about death, other people's death, my death, large scale death, personal death, historic death, family death, death of the planet, death of a way of life.  Can't go down that road either, or you would drift off in your corner easy chair

No comments:

Post a Comment