Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, February 1, 2021

Reclaimed Golf Courses - hiking trails

Happy Snow Day! It is the first day of February and we are having a big snow! Maybe it is my ethnic origin, or maybe something simply individual, but I have always LOVED SNOW. When I was a teacher, I had to keep that sentiment to myself because the prevailing attitude was hate for snow. Many of my colleagues came from distant towns and were forced to use the major highways which were subject to traffic jams under the best conditions but under bad weather conditions they were hellacious! As I mentioned, I was a teacher for my whole adult life so I tend to think in terms of courses and programs. I like structure. A few years ago when I did much longer hikes than I am able to do now, a friend and I did two long programs of hiking. One was the State Guide called Passport which listed all the state parks and had a place for a sticker on each page and a place to put your notes below. That was so much fun and we discovered dozens of new parks to hike. Another one was Rails to Trails. The same hiking buddy and I did about a dozen rails to trails hikes and I am still finding them. In fact, the gallery where I have paintings on display on a regular basis, Eiland Arts in the old Merchantville Train Station building has a rails to trails right in front which I have walked many times. So here is my new Idea RECLAIMED GOLF COURSES! So far I have only found two to share with you - my favorite Cox's Creek near Cape May, NJ which I have hiked a half dozen times and which I love because the old golf cart paths making walking so easy. One of my best friends who is still able to be an avid hiker has found another Tall Pines. It was known as Maple Ridge Golf Course, and my one and only experience of it was many years ago when several colleagues and I attnded a week of in-service training there with lunch at The Eagles Nest which you might remember in connection with Ron Jaworski. I walked those paths a little on our breaks and on lunch break but I have not been back there since it has become a wildlife refuge and conservation area. The friend who was there last week wasn't terribly impressed with it, but I am eager to get there and see it for myself. So if you are looking for a hiking idea, please help yourself to mine and let me know if you find other Reclaied Golf courses. Please ue my email wrightj45@yahoo.com rather than the comments section which has become seriously polluted with robot and spam crap. Gosh how I miss the old blogspot. Oh well, if any of my old readers are still out there - Happy Valentine's Day to you! Happy Trails, Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment