Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, May 24, 2021

Arcadia Books!!

Just yesterday, when I was picking up a prescription at Walgreens, I noticed a new display kiosk with dozens of title in the Arcadia books series, for our area, Camden County! I bought three because I very much enjoy these books and must have about 50 by now! This time I bought Cooper River, Delaware River, and Women i World War II, all favorite topics of mine.

I only got to read one so far, which I read while I waited outside the veterinarian's office today. My youngest cat, Patsy Cline, was sick for 3 days and so I had to take her to the best veterinarian EVER! Dr. Ed. Sheehen in the Fairview section of Camden, just off the Black Horse Pike. He is the kindest and most talented doctor, and his staff are ANGELS! I have been going to him for decades after trying a good many others and finding them less than satisfactory. Anyhow, I enjoyed the Cooper River book so much, I asked the tech to give my copy to Dr. Sheehen to say thank you to him for all his wonderful medical assistance over the years. He lives in Collingswood and I thought he would find the Cooper River book interesting, I know I did!

Three of the details I found particularly interesting were in relation to the Cooper family and their ferries, in particular the one at Pyne Point which I have visited and photographed. The information on Elizabeth Haddon and her nephew John Hopkins (of historic Hopkins House which I visited many times when I lived near Cooper River and when it was an Art Gallery) and the bits on Joshua Saddler, the environmentalist and freed man who saved Saddler's Woods, one of the only pockets of original old growth forest left in South Jersey which is under stewardship and conservation by a group of dedicated volunteers. I was happy to take their workshop before the pandemic, a tour of the woods the sighting of the oldest trees, and a great workshop ahere we dissected an owl's pellet and found a shrew's skeleton! If they ever advertise again - TAKE THE TOUR!! I think I found the ad in the Audubon Community Education Booklet, but you might also want to check their website.

You can find the Arcadia books at any bookstore. I bought several at Barnes and Noble at the Rt. 70 shopping Center, and as I said this kiosk was at Walgreens on the Black Horse Pike and Kings Highway. Great reading.

Happy Trails! Jo Ann wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment