Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Rancocas Merchant - Colonial Outfit

There are some groups of people who are just wonderful people and the History Community is one. Many years ago, when I first retired, I went to volunteer at the James and Ann Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, because I had met the gracious, brilliant and inspiring Megan Giordano on a tour there and I had been so impressed with her knowledge and her pasion for the site. She was a great role model for leadership as well as for historic involvement. Among the many things she offered the very large group of volunteers we had at the time, (about 60 volunteers) were monthly or quarterly lectures and workshops in everything from Honey cultivation, given by a local beeKeeper, to fabrics and clothing of the Colonial period. Megan, herself, had a wonderful outfit. She and her parents also took up Colonial dancing. Megan passed away a few years ago, at a tragically young age from Lupus. She is sadly missed by all who knew her.

At that time, I became acquainted with Sue Hueskin of Rancocas Merchant. She was a well known and well respected outfitter as well as a volunteer at many historic places such as Griffith Morgan House and Burough Dover House both in Pennsauken. If you have never visited them, you should, they are beautiful houses! Sue was also a sutler at most re-enactment events. She and her husband are presently volunteers at Indian King Tavern, another place I volunteered at for a brief time. Also a very warm and welcoming place with a terrific curator. Over the first half dozen years when I volunteered at Whitall House, I collected three full outfits, suitable for two seasons, summer, and winter. My summer bodice (a jacket style top) was a lighter weight, and I had a heavier weight for winter. I had a light half cape for fall and spring, and a full length wool cape for winter and hand- spun, hand-dyed hand-knit wool mittens. The mittens I had bought many years ago at Batsto when the Village had potters, weavers and spinners. My final purchase had been a mantua which I donated to Elfreth's Alley for the Mantua Makers House so people could see what a mantua was. (it is a one piece dress as contrasted with a skirt and top or what was called a petticaoat and bodice.)

When I got to her house, Sue welcomed me and brought me up on the latest news, the saddest news of which was that the tailor/seamster who made the Colonial clothes had succumbed to Altzheimers and was no longer able to work. Even though Colonial clothes are relatively basic and simple designs, at least the everyday wear, not so much the fancy dress of the gentry, it is still a matter of laying out the fabric, putting on the pattern, pinning, cutting and sewing and finishing. I have done a bit of sewing myself in my younger years, so I know what goes into it. Along with the labor, there is the cost of material to consider, and linen is expensive, and the linen used in Colonial clothing for historic re-enactment is a good quality natural linen, not sythetic. Fabric has become very expensive over the years!

Sue brought out her samples and I selected a sober brown bodice and black petticoat, appropriate to a Quaker matron, and a white neck scarf, white bonnet and an off white apron for my costume. That's five pieces. Sue told me she was keeping to her original prices despite the fact that everyone else has shot their prices through the roof.

I am thrilled with my outfit and very happy to have spent some time catching up with Sue Hueskin. By the way, Sue put together a very interesting cookbook based on one she had run across in the archives at the Burlington County Historical Society. Polly Burling Receipts. There are thirteen recipes dating from around 1770 in the cookbook. I bought mine from Sue when she was a sutler at a historic event, but I can't remember which one. Keep your eyes open for upcoming Colonial Events, I think there is a skirmish coming to Haddonfield, and you may come across Sue Hueskin and her husband. Meanwhile if you need an authentic costume at well below market prices and the highest quality and authenticity, give Sue a call and make an appointment 856-461-3369. She lives at 33 Pancoast Blvd. in Delran, NJ and you can find this information on the web under Rancocas Merchant..

I believe James and Ann Whitall House will be having a big event on April 9th, but I am not sure of the date and time. I will find out at History Book Club on Friday and I will post after that. Meanwhile, if you are interested in History Book Club, we are reading Founding Brothers, by Joseph Ellis, and we are at Chapter 4. You are welcome to get a copy of the book and join us at James and Ann Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, NJ at 10:00 (check the time, though, it might be 11:00) Check the house facebook page.

Happy Trails! Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment