Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Carl Woese, biologist

One of my all time favorite quotes is by biologist Carl Woese and I think it sums up life and living in a way that describes it perfectly through my experience, so I share it with you now. These are just a couple lines from a much longer paper which you can find online by googling Carl Woese's name and the first line of the quote:

Imagine a child playing in a woodland stream, poking a stick into an eddy in the flowing current, thereby disrupting it. But the eddy quickly reforms. The child disperses it again. Again it reforms, and the fascinating game goes on. There you have it! Organisms are resilient patterns in a turbulent flow—patterns in an energy flow.

Lately, I have been more aware than usual how much the weather contributes to my happiness and wellbeing and I an grateful to my dog, Uma, for making sure I get outside every day to enjoy it. In particular these days, we are enjoying both the warm weather, the invigoratijng energy of the sun, and the glorious blooming of the trees. It makes me happy to sit in my yard and look up at the tree canopy, as life creates a pattern of lace from the new leaves quietly growing and spreading across the sky.

Happy trails!

Jo Ann wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment