Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, January 13, 2024

January 2024 - New Year's Resolutions and News

Increasingly as the years go by, my resolutions tend to focus on health, generally in the "Do More Eat Less' category, but this year, I am adapting my vegetarian lifestyle to become more vegan. Between 11% and 19% of gobal emissions come from animal agriculture. Sometimes addressing climate change can seem to large for the individual to make an impact but there are so many ways we each can change the world, one person, one idea, one meal at a time. We and use Brita intead of plastic bottles, and we can use materials made from recycled and we can buy less and waste less. Even more, we can protect our own health and help the planet by going vegetarian or vegan.

For me, the main obstacle to going full vegan was to give up chaeese. I have replaced most dairy successfully with alternatives such as almond milk and a very tasty butter substitute made from olive oil, but cheese was my downfall. I don't eat much cheese, jsut a coule of slices with cracketrs in the evening, so I decided to find an alternative and I did: humus with pine nuts topping and small pitas or pita chips - very tasty, very satisfying.

If you need inspiration, I found mine in "You Are What You Eat" series which was featured on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and which gave me the push I needed.

Here is another tip for inspiration: Lesbiveggies on Merchant Street in Audubon, NJ serves absolutely delectable vegan meals. I was there yesterday and had the Hungry Breakfast Meal of scrambled seasoned tofu, roasted potatoes and pancakes $13 and mint tea. One of my friends had roasted cauliflower tacos which she (a mostly meat eater) announced was Delicious! and a table over were three large boisterous "He-men' enjoying roasted cauliflower sandwichs. I know because their platters looked so hearty and delicious, I asked what they were having!

Lately, I have been making smoothies too. my usual is a handful of walnuts, two bananas, cup and a half of almond yoghurt and two cups of almond milk to which I add, depending on mood, 2 cups of blueberries or 3 heaping table spoons of Nutella hazlenut spread. By the way, you can heat a cup of the Nutella smoothy in the microwave in place of hot chocolate.

I will add to this post as I find more helpful tips, so keep posted!

Happy Trails! Jo Ann wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment