Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Fun' Lunch and a HikeDay Trips List

Yesterday, Friday June 27, three friends and I had a fun day trip and I was thinking (on the way home, since I didn't have to drive this time) about all the fun day trips we take and I thought I'd jot down just a half dozen today on the blog.

1.Mays Landing and Ocean City:Yesterday, we took Route 559 which is a lovely road and never has been crowded in the years I've taken it, to Ocean City.  There is a detour for a bridge that has been out for months, but it is a simple detour easy to follow.  This route takes you by Lake Lenape and the antique store by the same name in Mays Landing.  A good place to stop for lunch is the Sugar Hill Restaurant with tables indoors and outdoors overlooking the water.  
The Ocean City boardwalk is 3 miles round trip to hike and also has a nice place to eat called the Ocean Cafe', for those who don't eat junk food (which is all  of my friends now that we are watching our weight and minding our health).

2.Millville:  Millville has a couple of great hikes.  One I'd save for winter when there are no ticks and that is the Maurice River Bluffs Hike, off Silver Run Road.
For all seasons, by all means stop at Wildflowers, on Main St. the Vegan restaurant and I guarantee you won't leave hungry.  For summer hikes, go to the river and hike the river path, then cross the walking bridge over the Maurice and there is another 2 or 3 mile trail that isn't as wooded and so safer from ticks.  Afterwards, stop at Bogarts' coffee shop for a tea or coffee refresher and music and maybe a book or two!  I like to visit the Botega Galleria across from Wildflowers, too - beautiful paintings at reasonable prices.

3.Mount Holly - I like to walk the streets and especially the Mill Race area then stop for lunch in the Robin's Nest.  In the fall they have the Battle of Ironworks Re-enactment.

4.  Tom's River has the River Lady paddle boat lunch which my hiking buddies and I plant to take in July.  We like to take the lunch excursion which does, fortunately offer a vegetarian choice - penne past in blush sauce, very good.  And you can walk around the historic town.  Haven't got a hiking trail for this trip yet as it takes us so long to get there and get back, that teh boat trip and lunch is usually enough, but the Historic Society is a good visit, too.

5.  Audubon and Haddon Heights offer fun places to eat and the Audubon Lake Haddon Heights 3 mile park to hike.  For lunch, you can stop in the Audubon side at Simply Soups on Atlantic Avenue, and in Haddon Heights, the Station House Restaurant.  Both of which are  close to the little local train stations which I love and wrote about recently.

6.  Needless to say, Burlington and Bordentown are excellent towns to visit, but I don't have time to go into them now and my favorite restaurant has closed - the Galleria.  So I need to do more research to talk about them, or you could go and find stuff to write to me about!

7.  Today, after I walk the dog at Big Timber Creek Dog Park, I'm off to Mullica Hill for the Red Mill Antiques and the Blue Plate for lunch.  (I have written that the Murphy's Book Loft barn of books is now closed - sorry about that, so that's off the list of favorites to visit in Mullica Hill)  We'll walk the main treet and check in the shops and admire the houses and gardens.

Happy Trails - walking and hiking are the excellent ways my friends and I stay healthy and have fun!  Hope to see you on the trail or to hear from you at my e-mail -
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment