Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Two Great Days of fun Things To Do - end of summer

Yesterday, Thursday, I drove to Ocean City and was delighted to find the Ocean City Historical Society Museum, located in the Library complex at 17th and Stimpson open for a visit.  I LOVE this museum.  There are period rooms and period clothes, maps and all kinds of interesting memorabilia.  We had a warm and charming volunteer guide named Dorothy White who was perfect, in that she provided information in a very unobtrusive and delicate way so that you enjoyed her companionship.  My favorite things from the past have always been the Sindia china and the stained glass window, but there were such beautiful dresses this time that I stood mesmerized thinking of the handiwork of the long ago seamstresses who made them.

http://www.oceancitylibrary.org/

Today, Friday, August, 14, I met two friends for lunch at Curtin's Wharf, a perfect day for it because it was balmy and breezy and not a batteringly, blisteringly hot day such as we have had recently.  Today was 82 with no humidity and the outdoor ambience of the Wharf was delightful.   We drove over to Burlington City afterwards to visit the Antique Emporium  http://www.antiquesnj.com/

What I most wanted, I could not have but I SHOULD have taken a photo and I did not.
Image result for antique tin toy ferris wheelBut here is an image from the internet.  I had, since childhood thought of these tin toys as water wheels, but I realized they are ferris wheels!  I have always loved them but t the antique emporium, they were $450 and $350!  Way out of my spending bracket.  So I just look at admire!  What I did uy, however was a homemade one room school house.  It was actually part of a village and I would have loved to have provided a home for this clever and painstakingly carefully made balsa wood project, but I have no space and my cats knock over everything, so I stopped at the schoolhouse because it will be my decorating motif for September, apples and one room schoolhouses.  Also I bought two wooden apples, very handsome.  The house was only $10 and the apples were $5 each. 

Before I left Burlington, I stopped to take a photo of the James Fennimore Cooper birthplace and the Captain Lawrence of  "Don't Give Up the Ship" fame.  I checked on the internet to see if James Fennimore Cooper was related to the Cooper family founders of Camden and ancestors of Ann Whitall of Red Bank Battlefield and he is indeed a descendant of this trunk of Coopers.  I am reading a handsome hard-bound early library edition of the three novels:  The Pioneers, Deerslayer, The Prairie, from which The Last of the Mohicans was adapted.  I saw the Danield Day Lewis recent version of the movie a week or two ago and it has been on my mind ever since.
Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment