Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Hike Your State Parks Day! 2016

A Great Way to Start the New Year!  With my two best human hiking buddies and my #1 best canine hiking buddy, I hit the State Parks Trail on January 1st, 2016.  It was my favorite way to start the year - Hike Your State Park Day.  We tried a new State Park (for us), the Rancocas.  We started at the Nature Center, but they had quite a crowd gathering for a guided hike, so we left and hiked on our own at the Rancocas State Park, just a little further back on the same road.  By the way, for you bird watchers, the Barbaras spotted a red headed woodpecker.  Without my binoculars, I can't see anything in a tree.

The day before the 1st, we hiked Pakim Pond, and the day after, we hiked Atsion, down Quaker Bridge Road.  Today, we hiked Parvin at the little one mile pond trail and were accompanied by three gorgeous gliding swans.  I'm always astonished at how large they are!

Tomorrow, we are having lunch at Illiano's, off Tuckerton Road in Shamong, which I heartily recommend, and then another hike but I don't know which woods as yet. 

Recently, I watched a wonderful if shocking HBO Documentary, called the Weight of America.  Naturally, one of the best things we can do is make use of the glorious woodlands, and easier and ubiquitous local parks.  What a great time to make a resolution to Get Out, Get Going, and Get Fit!

Happy New Year and Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment