Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Main Street Art, Maritza's and More Places To Go and Things To Do Spring 2016

Yesterday, two friends and I enjoyed a lovely afternoon in Maple Shade, NJ.  We went to Maritza's for lunch, which has the most consistently delicious food of any of the many places I have gone for lunch with friends, and by far, the most reasonable prices.  I don't mind spending a little more for a lunch but I hate it when I spend more and order what I have had before and it isn't good anymore.  For example (I won't name places, but I have had wonderful broccolli quiche and then gone to the same place and it is leftover and heated in the microwave, which isn't a good idea with broccolli.  Also, I have had great veggie burgers that on subsequent trips were mushy and unpalatable, at the same place.)  At Maritza's, it is ALWAYS good and I particulraly like the eggplant parmesan sandwich.

We walked in the cool spring breeze and delightful newly arrived spring weather, to Main Street Art which is run by an old college classmate of mine.  What a great idea!  Her flyer offers Fun With Family and Friends, Painting Parties, Art Lessons, Bring Your Own Beer, Wine and Snacks, and many other opportunities to be creative, incoluding jewelry making.  Also, it is a great place to shop for Birthday gifts!  The Occasions run for $30 per person and a 6 person minimum.  

Next stop on our trip down Main Street was the very old and quaint Dairy Queen which I have photographed many times and where I have bought chocolate dips since I was 13 years of age.  We crossed the street to visit the One Room Schoolhouse, a perfect example of its kind and dating from 1811.

By the Way, I neglected to put in some dates froma  brochure I picked up at Whitesbog, so let me put that in here:

April 23, Moonlight Walk at 7 pm
May 1, Outdoor Painting Competition from 9 to 1 - Outdoor painting on the historic and picturesque Whitesbog village grounds with a show, judged and a prize at the end of the day.  $20 fee, whitesboggallery@gmail.com
May 7, Whitesbog Workday and Village Tour 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tour at 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 14 - Don't Forget NEW JERSEY STATE HISTORY FAIL  from 11 - 5 at the Monmouth Battlefield State Park, (609)-777-0238
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to Whitesbog in May, 21st Spring Celebration garden ttours, bird walks, container planting and terrarium workshops www.whitesbog.org for more details

May 21 Moonlight Walk 7 p.m.

I wanted to visit Cowtown today but it is raining, Saturday April 23, so we are postponing and will do something indoors like Red Mill Antiques or Antiques Emporium in Burlington and a dog walk.

Speaking of Dogs, I want to again recommend Dr. Sheehen, at Sheehen Veterinary in Fairview, Camden.  He is compassionate, knowledgeable and I have been going to him for decades and with dozens of pets.  Also, The Dog House in Audubon is super for grooming.  Just call them and make an appt.  They took excellent care of my sister's Cairn Terrier after he was rescued from the fire.  He had melted mystery blobs stuck in his fur and on his skin.  He came back from them, calm, peaceful, clean and well cared for.  My sister was worried because he had been traumatized and she wanted gentle treatment, which we believe he received.  They are located on Atlantic Avenue in Audubon.  I pay $45 and a tip of $10.

Happy Trails!  Thanks for dropping by and I hope some of the information proves helpful to you.  Jo Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment