Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Whitesbog, More

Two times in the last two weeks, I have hiked at Whitesbog with a friend, Barb Spector and my dog, Trixie.  It is a glorious time to hike at the bogs because it is cool and the bogs are a hot and sunny place as summer comes on.

Fortunately the last time I hiked at the bogs, the store was open and I was able to buy birthday gifts for a friend of mine.  I bought her soda, handmade soap, blueberry jam and, I must admit, I bought her chocolate covered cranberries which I ate.  I'll have to go back for me.

There were many many other items to buy at the store and lots of fun gift ideas.  For those of you who may not be familiar with the history of Whitesbog, Elizabeth White developted the high bush berry into the cultivated and famous New Jersey blueberry!  Also, she was a a world renowned expert on the holly and the cranberry.

The Whites plantation was a hub of agricultural activity, especially in autumn cranberry harvesting season when buses loaded with workers from Philadelphia would pull into the village. 

Elizabeth White was a horticultural devotee, and worked with the government and with the state university on agricultural projects. 

The store is open weekends from February to December from 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Get on over there now while it is cool and enjoy the blue sky reflected in the water filled bogs, framed by the white sand access roads.  Gorgeous!

Next stop - Cowtown!  I haven't been there in 50 years and I'm going on Saturday with a friend.  I am against the use of animals for entertainment, especially when the 'entertainment' includes cruelty to the animals but I want to visit the stores and see what it is like there now. 

I found a great deqal of interesting information on Sally Starr's old log cabins on a site called South Jersey Trails - It was known as Ole's Ranch and here is the  link if you want to check it out.  I feel an exploration coming on.....Happy Trails!  Jo Ann
https://southjerseytrails.org/?s=Ole+Larsen+log+cabins

No comments:

Post a Comment