Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Volunteers for Animals

Today, Saturday, May 20, 2016, my daughter sent me a text photo with her new dog, Louisa Mae from Texas.  Louisa is a "parti-poodle" which means that she had multicolored fur.  Poodle breeders prefer solid white or solid black.  We don't know how poor little Louisa Mae came to be in a kill shelter in Texas but we know how she came to her forever home in Brooklyn, New York.

My daughter who is my electronics mentor, found her little furry soul mate on the internet where rescuers post dogs being ferried (no pun intended) from kill-shelters, mainly down South, to new homes or no-kill shelters in the North.  Louisa Mae's rescuers had her treated for a minor skin ailment and then sent her on her way through a network of truck volunteers.

What brought tears to my eyes (literally) was when my daughter told me that rescuers meet the trucks at truck stops and take the dogs for a walk before they resume their long journey.  God bless this good souls.  These messages from the world of kindness and soulful humanity help to keep hope afloat. 

I was going to do a blog post all about big antique festivals coming up, but I had to send out a thank you to the universe for bringing me this good news about truly heroic people who speak out and act out for those most vulnerable among us, dogs and cats. 

Tomorrow is a big Antiques Fair in Burlington at the Antiques Emporium.  Yesterday I visited the Red Mill Antiques after an excellent lunch at the Blue Plate Cafe in Mullica Hill. I bought an original 1950's Disney Golden Book on Cinderella as I had just read a coffee table book on the Disney artists who were the first illustrators of the new Golden Books, that featured Disney characters.  Later, of course, we all became familiar with Tom and Jerry's Christmas and the many delightful tales told in vivid and charming illustrations in Golden Books very widely available and still enchanting. 

Today, I attended an excellent program on Genetics and Genealogy at the Burlington County Historical Society Library/Museum.  The presenter made a complex and confusing subject ssimple and clear.  She had an excellent speaking voice as well.  It was a day well spent.  I might add I have more often encountered truly excellent speakers at Burlington County H.L. than in almost any other venue.  They are always engaging, anc wonderfully prepared.  More on that on another post.  Have to feed my cats and my dog now.

Happy Tails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment