Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Magazine Review - New Jersey Monthly, October 2016 edition

To be perfectly honest, I have never subscribed to this magazine although I love magazines and New Jersey, mainly, the cover topics I have seen in the past have not been of interest to me.  My daughter is 32 and sothe best  high schools in Nj would not capture my interest, nor would the best doctors, nor the best recipes.  I HATE cooking magazines and cooking in general.  

BUT, this month featured FALL DAY TRIPS and that is a topic that most definitely interests me.  My initial fear was that they would all be set in what I call north Jersey but which is actually more like central.  So much of what is labeled New Jersey ends up being set in Monmouth, or Morris or Sussex counties.  My blog and my interests have been set more in Camden, Gloucester, Salem and Cumberland counties.

Many of the harvest festivals in the magazine have already been held as it is October 6 when I write this and a good number were held last weekend, however, I found two things of interest to me, one is the Fall Flea Market at Allaire Village on October 8th, the other is Indian Summer Weekend in Ocean City 8 to 10th.  

Then, I found something entirely new that wa captivating to me on several levels.  As you know, I LOVE trains and I had no idea there wa a Pumpkin Express!  It is run by the Delaware River Railroad Excursions out of Phillipsburg.   I don't know where that is yet, but I plan to find out. (It is a STEAM train!!)

So here is the info - weekends in October, train leaves at 11 am, noon, 2 pm and 3:30 pm, $17 per adult, address 99 Elizabeth Street, Phillipsburg and the website is
877trainride.com 

All Aboard!  
Happy trails and day trips to you!  
Jo Ann

ps.  a magazine subscription costs $15 for 12 issues and each issue on the newstand (I got mine at SHopRite) is $4.99 - a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment