Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, May 1, 2017

Photography and New Jersey

Perhaps the most famous photographer (and you can argue with me about this if you like) who was born in New Jersey was Dorothea Lange.  She was born in Hoboken on May 26, 1895.  And it is also arguable (I guess) that her Depression Era photographs made her most famous.  She worked for the Farm Security Administration which was also responsible for saving images of many historic places across the nation, and, especially important to me, in New Jersey.

So my post today was inspired by an article about another famous New Jersey Photographer, of whom, I am embarrassed to say, I hadn't heard until I read the article, despite my Art education background and lifelong interest in photography.  

The Sunday Courier Post ran an article and samples of the work of Irving Penn, born in Plainfield, NJ in 1917.  His work is being shown in New York at the Metropolitan Museum of Art through July 30, 2017.  He made his mark mainly through fashion photography but used his success to fund his experiments in more aesthetic art photography in contrast with his commercial work.

One of my favorite photographers in New Jersey today is Albert Horner who has taken simply magical photographs of my favorite place in New Jersey, (my favorite state) - the Pine Barrens.  You can find his work on-line.

If you take photographs, you might enjoy sending them to be shown on the SHOW US YOUR SOUTH JERSEY page of the Sunday Courier Post.  This Sunday, April 30, 2017, it was on page 15C.  Some are so beautiful, I cut them out and paste them in my giant Sketch pad journals.  Some of my favorite photographers in this section of the Sunday paper, have been hollyferret, oskhernandez, memorieslostintime, and andrealaing - their on-line names.  
If you have some gems on your phone that you might like to share with the world, The Courier suggests you post your phone photos to Instagram #SJshowus.  So if you have some beauties, you might want to send them in and try it out, if you know how to use Instagram - can't help you with that, I've never done it, but when my daughter comes home again in a week or two, to visit, I may ask her to show me how!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment