Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

ArtJourling Part Two

Today, I visited our local Thrift Store - HOPE Thrift, which is in the Brooklawn Shopping Cener where Kmart used to be (around the corner).  

As I mentioned previously, I like make my own small Art Journals, about the size of a hard-back book but not the thickness of one.  I cover cardboard with decorative paper (usually scrapbook page paper) and accordion fold the paper for inside (usually sketch pad paper - very large, cut down to the right height).  

BOX OF BOOKS I also think it is fun to keep the books in an unusual container.  My favorites have been cigar boxes, but today I found a nice old Oreo Cookie tin for 50 cents, and a small picnic basket for a dollar.  My most recent fun idea for a box for Art Journals was a lunch box.  I had a great old DALE EVANS box that I bought from e-bay for about $5.00 a few years back and I thought I would check out HOPE Thrift to see if they had any but they didn't.  I'll bet various antique stores would though, like the Red Mill in Mullica Hill, or Antique Emporium in Burlington, my next stops on the hunt!

An Art Journal I finished this summer was a memoir and a goodbye book to commemorate the closing of my old school, Mary Ethel Costello School in Gloucester City.  The two I am working on now are FIVE GRATITUDES, and Autumn Walking Journal.  Upcoming ideas - old theaters, and I would like to do one for Pakim Pond and one for Knight's Park.  Also, I have been collecting and storing in a folder, old photos of my daughter and myself and would like to do one on that subject.  Also, I started a very nice one on my house.

Happy Trails whether outdoors or in your mind!
Jo Ann
ps.  Forgot to mention, the cigar box was $2.00 from a tobacco store in a small strip mall across the street from McDonald's in Mount Ephraim on the Black Horse Pike.

No comments:

Post a Comment