Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Tall Ships in Spring

Reading Facebook this morning, I came across a post worth sending along.  I know it is far away to May but I wanted to get this saved here because I saw the tall ships last time and it is an amazing sight!  Also a wonderful event when the USS New Jersey came up the Delaware to its home port in Camden, saw that too!  I actually made a painting of that event but it burned in the house fire that took my sister's home two years ago March.

TALL SHIPS: "Well, here is another great event coming to town for our 150th anniversary as a city, This year on May 28th, 29th and 30th, along the Delaware river, in the Area of the Cities of Philadelphia , Camden and Gloucester, THE PARADE OF TALL SHIP IS COMING BACK! If you missed this, a few years back, it is wonderful. We took our grandkids and they loved it. And the Gloucester City Tall ship "NORTH WIND" will be in the parade. I am so glad that this, major event, is taking place in this year of 2018. So mark the date, so you won't be late, because this is GREAT!"

Gloucester City is where I spent the 32 plus years of my teaching career and I loved the history of this place.  During the bi-centennial, Gloucester celebrated a tri-centennial since its founding!  There is a Gloucester City Historical Society located on King Street.  Along the river front are many interesting historical sites such as the Mill Block Houses 1845, and Proprietor's Park with a monument on the location of the Revolutionary War era Huggs Tavern where Betsy Ross was married.  Her family farm was located not far from Gloucester City, near where the WW bridge approach is.  Also there was a Rev. War battle at Gloucester City and the Marquis deLafayette was present at it.  You can also find out more at the Gloucester City Library.

The train station has been rescued and turned into a cafe (as they did in Woodbury, too!)  I am always happy when a town recognizes the value of its history and saves a historic site and particularly train stations.  Which reminds me, the last weekend of this month, Jan. 27 and 28, I believe the Haddon Heights Train Station has it's model railroad display open to the public.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment