Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Sad News

While looking up the historic Bridgeton Diner, which was 77 years old and an original Silk City manufactured diner, I discovered that it had burned down.

I passed that diner so many times on my way to Greenwich and I always wanted to stop in as I love diners and I could see it was very old and probably historic.  I waited too long.  New owners finding themselves not making a profit, set fire to it and burned it down.  They were caught and prosecuted but that doesn't bring back a historic building.

And I found that the historic Hillcrest also burned down in Bridgeton.  So sad.  That building, an original stage coach Inn was built in 1782.  

What a loss for the historic building community.

2 comments:

  1. The old diner in Bridgeton is still there. It didn't burn down. It simply had a fire in the kitchen addition. It's been sitting empty ever since. We drove by it recently and saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that it isn't burned down! The newspaper articles on-line said it had. I will have to drive down and have a look.

    ReplyDelete