Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Vegetarian Events

As any of you who have been reading this blog for awhile know, I am a vegetarian.  Often, over the years, I have posted on places to go for good vegetarian and vegan food such as Wildflowers in Millville.  Fortunately, most places now offer some vegetarian selections, though, sadly, they are often limited to "veggie burgers."
Still, I am to complaining, one is better than none.  Some places don't have it on the menu but if you ask they serve it, such as Applebees, which mysteries does not put their veggie burger on their menu but my friends and I often get veggie burgers there.

Well, also, at some point in the past, I blogged about visiting he South Jersey Vegetarian Society, which has a bookstore!  Two of my friends are activists for this group and do "tabling" which means they hand out literature from tables at events. 

Since I am on their mailing list, I thought I would share with you their latest e-mail of upcoming events:

Mark Your Calendar
Potluck May 12 Medford Friends Meeting House
Free Lecture Series Monday June 25, 6:30pm Margaret E Heggan Library, Sewell, NJ
Details coming
Picnic Potlucks June 30 Longbridge Park and Sept 1st Smithville Park
Thanksgiving Annual Potluck Nov 11 Moorestown


Not being much of a 'grouper' myself, I don't attend many of their events, and I am not very interested in food, though I am a devoted vegetarian since the 1970's with some minor detours over the years while I was raising my daughter.

I was first converted by Frances Moore Lappe's book Diet for a Small Planet, a book as timely now as it was back when it was first published and popular among alternative lifestyle hippies.  We were becoming more health minded and we were not averse to change.  Back in those days, I did a lot of cooking with a pressure cooker, a lot of beans and rice dishes and stir fry dishes.  Today, I live a lot on my Nutribullet, and I make smoothies and soups.  Yesterday I made a broccoli/cauliflower soup using the NutriBullet that ws heavenly on a rainy at-home-reading day.  

So, if you want to learn more about this 'easier and easier all the time' way to improve your healthy and save our planet, get a book from the library, or visit the Vegetarian Society or go to an event!  Your heart and arteries will be glad you did, so will Planet Earth.

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment