Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Homage to Aretha Franklin

Today when I pulled up to the parking area in front of my gym, Planet Fitness, I had the window down in my car.  WXPN 88.5 was playing R E S P E C T by Aretha Franklin and I was surprised to hear all the other radios in the parking lot were playing Aretha too!  At first I thought we all had the same radio station on, but then I got into the gym and saw on CNN that Aretha Franklin, aged 76, was dead after a long struggle with pancreatic cancer.  

R E S P E C T find out what it means to me!

The song was originally written b Otis Redding, another favorite of mine (Try a Little Tenderness still makes me cry) in 1965 two years after I graduated from high school, and became a hit for Aretha Franklin in 1967, the year I got married and turned 21 and the year Otis Redding died in a plane crash.  

Last night I watched the 5 hour documentary about Woodstock and thought about all the stars of that event who are now gone:  Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, Jerry Garcia and also I contemplated our youth and beauty gone like a season.  

My car isn't working very well at present, or I would go to Albert Music Hall in Watertown this Saturday night and celebrate the long life of music.  However, I will be a guest in the car of a friend for a lecture on Lewis and Clark at the Cherry Hill Library that evening instead.

Happy Trails - PEACE ☮  LOVE  💗 AND   🙏 RESPECT

No comments:

Post a Comment