Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Family History Buffs - Events!

Although Camden County Historical Society closes during the month of August, this year, 2019, they will hold a series of lectures given by the talented, personable, and resourceful Bonny Beth Elwell.  I have had the pleasure of attending lectures and workshops given by Bonnie Beth Elwell and I even hired her to help me finish a family tree that I was copying to frame and give to my siblings for Christmas a few years back.

Bonnie has held Salem County Genealogy Society events at Friends Village in Woodstown for many years, and she has a charming and informative column in the Elmer Times called "Ancestors' Attic."  

If you have an interest in family history, are a beginner, or are a practitioner who needs some help or inspiration this may be just the thing to spark your creative problem solving skills or inspire you to get back on the case.

Sunday, August 4th from 1 pm to 2:30
Sunday, August 11th from 1 pm to 2:30
Sunday, August 8th from 1 pm to 2:30

It is certainly my plan to attend.  So far my family history projects included:   the aforementioned family tree, a color photo collage of everyone for whom I had a photo (photos scanned, resized,  collaged and then scanned and copied in large format at Belia copy center in Woodbury), a desriptive spiral bound booklet, a booklet with photos of our family heirlooms (no financial value but much sentimental value, as for example with my Great Grandmother's sewing machine which she used to make a living) and a series of postcards using family holiday photographs which I used for holiday greeting cards over the years.  For example, I had postcards printed from the oldest photographs in our family collection which date to 1884, the marriage portraits of my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather, for a Valentine postcard.

I love family history and have found MANY wonderful resources at the Camden County Historical Society Library in the genealogy section.  They are very helpful there too!

Happy trails (whatever kind they may be - research or woodland)
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment