Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Genealogy lecture at Camden County Historical Society & MORE

Today I went to the Genealogy lecture at Camden County Historical Society (located behind Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden).  Bonny Beth Elwell, genealogist extraordinaire was the lecturer.  She is brilliant and full of enthusiasm, so even though I haven't been doing much family history work recently, I knew I would be inspired if I attended, and I was!

The lecture today was to acquaint us with the CCHS holdings and especially if you don't know where to start or where to go from where you are, this was the one to help you.  Aside from telling us what they have it gives you a map of what to research to go forward with your already begun search.

For some of us, the family history search begins with a mystery.  In my case, the mystery was my mother's parents.  I had lots of information and even photos from my father's side of the family but nothing for my mother's side.  My mother, Mary, had been taken to the Camden Children's Orphanage as a toddler, along with her two sisters, Sally and Betty.  Her aunt eventually adopted her and her sister Sally.  Betty was adopted by another family.  I had always wondered about my mother's biological mother and father but my mother's aunt was secretive about her sister.  It was a very cold trail after her death.  

Family history is a fascinating subject to study and the more you dig, the more interesting it gets.  I did finally track down some information  on my biological Grandmother Sarah and a few bits on the man who was probably my biological Grandfather, but after a few years of research and some wonderful, unexpected trails through the New Jersey side of the family from which these two lost grandparents had descended I stopped searching.  I always wanted to go back and dig up more!

MORE:  Tomorrow, Monday, August 5th, is my Senior Get-together at the Charles Dougherty Senior Center in Mt. Ephraim.  I had hoped to interest some of the seniors in family history research but it didn't take off, so I let it go.  We have been doing general local history instead, and so tomorrow we do New Jersey's astronaut in honor of the Moon Landing, 50 years ago, and we take a look at one of the most radical and dedicated warriors in the Struggle for Women's Right To Vote also a local person from Mount Laurel, NJ  Do you know either of these historical people?

MORE #2:  Also tomorrow, I begin my accelerated ukulele lessons at the Merchantville Train Station gallery and cafe' which will be twice a week through the month of August.  I had alway wanted to play an instrument, and although my daughter bought me a ukulele, which seemed like something I might manage, after a year of lessons, I stopped because it was too expensive on a monthly basis. Now I want to begin again and I can afford one month.

Both research and learning a musical instrument are supposed to be very helpful for keeping our brains functioning and developing.  Also, I just read an article linking sugary drinks with dementia  Apparently sugary drinks increase the development of the plaques and tangles that are the sign of dementia in the brain so leave the sweet tea and soda alone and start learning something!

By the way, the lectures continue through the month of August.  The CCHS is closed this month except for the genealogy lectures which take place the next two Sundays at 1:00, so if you are free, you might like to get started or pick up where you left off.  

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment