Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Colonial Re-enactment at Gabreil Daveis Tavern Apr. 22 & 23

Attended the opening of the World War I exhibit at Camden County Historical Society today and enjoyed a lively conversation with their curator of objects, Josh, as well as the always lovely and charming Bonny Beth Elwell.  She is a remarkable young woman, so warm and friendly to everyone and so knowledgeable as well as dedicated to the history and genealogy world.  I am delighted that she is at Camden County Historical Society now and I may even do a bit of volunteering there again.

Their new booklet is out, the Volume 1, Issue 2 all on military with a great deal of material supplied by the very many historical societies in Camden County.  It was more than I ever knew existed. And the information is fascinating, though often sad.  I read the memorials to each of the young men from my own town who had given their lives and it made me cry to think of them, so young, smiling in their photographs, and dead before they had a chance to live.  Also, to think of the pain their families experienced.

We have been so lucky in my family.  Men in each generation served and all the men survived.  My brother survived Vietnam, my father survived World War II and so did his brother, Clyde.  My Grandfather Lyons survived World War I, and my Civil War ancestor, William C. Garwood survived, as did Hiram McQuiston, who was at Gettysburg, though not in the battle.  We even had Cheesman ancestors in the Revolutionary War and they all lived through it.  Lucky Lucky us.

One of the people I met is Robert Fishr Hughes who is head of both the Griffith Morgan House and the Burrough Dover House, in Pennsauken.  They have recently merged.  Both Houses are amazing and well worth a visit, check them out on Facebook for more information including directions and phone number.

I picked up a flyer for the COLONIAL RE-ENACTMENT at Gabreil Daveis Tavern and Spring Open House, Revolutionary Weekend April 22 & 23 from 9 to 5 on Saturday and 9 to 3 on Sunday, Rain or Shine!  Admission is free!
They have advertised:
Tavern Tours, American Legion Flag Ceremony and 21 gun salute, Artillery Demo, Archery, Tomahawk throwing, Campfire cooking, Blacksmithing, Weaving, Colonial Crafter, to name a few.
www.facebook.com/glotwphistory or 856-228-4000 X3249
The address is 4th Ave. and Floodgate Rd. Gender, Nj
(and I can tell you that if you drive East on the Black Horse Pike - I know it is South(?), anyhow towards the shore, keep your eyes open and on the left, beneath the number name street sign there is a slim sign naming the Gabreil Daveis Tavern.  I love that house!  Nice garden walk, and checkout the beautiful painting restored by the society that takes care of the house.  

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment