Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Lines on the Pines was Wonderful!

Held at Stockton State College (or University as I think it is now designated), Lines on the Pines was wonderful as always.  There was music, art (Al Horner was there with his gorgeous Pinelands photographs), basket weaving  spinning, twig and vine creations - chairs and plant holders, benches and so on, and there were many animal exhibitions involving service dogs of various types.  

Several wildlife rescue groups were represented such as Cedar Run, and many Pinelands trail groups, and conservation groups. 

Naturally, the backbone of the festival is literature, so there were many authors such as my friend, Barb Solem with her three books:  The Forks, Ghosttowns and Other Quirky Places of the Pines, and Batsto.  Also, the fellow who wrote the History of New Jersey Diners, and New Jersey Folk Music, whose name I have momentarily forgotten, was there.  I had seen and heard him at the Pinelands Preservation Alliance summer fest with a dulcimer band performing, and again at the Burlington County History Lecture series on Diners.  He is very interesting, oh yes, his name is Michael Gabriele!

I always have a favorite and my fav this year was the basket weaving.  What I missed were the wood carvers, the soap makers, and the jam makers.  Last year I bought a beautiful wooden bowl and wooden Easter eggs, and cranberry preserves, as well as some handmade soap for my daughter's Easter basket, but this year I didn't see those tables.  I may have missed them.  

I missed the film, too, on John Hart, New Jersey' Revolutionary War Patriot.  I get overwhelmed by crowds and can't think straight.
So I ended up sitting down to rest outside the auditorium where the film was playing, but didn't get to see the film, and I do always enjoy independent film, especially on New Jersey history.

So all in all it was a successful day, and my friends all went to Smithville afterwards for appetizers and drinks at the Tavern.  

By the way, we had vegan lunches at a restaurant in a small shopping center across from the college.  The food was great but the juice was atrociously expensive.  I am too old to get used to paying $8 for a small bottle of beet juice, although people will pay $10 for a martini which has no nutrition whatsoever, so I guess you can look at it that way, but as I am not a drinker and would NEVER pay $10 for a martini, $8 for a juice was exorbitant in my book.  Just letting you know as a warning in case you go there.  The garbanzo bean fritters were delicious!

Don't know where I am off to next.  Kind of in a hibernating pattern since the weather has been so inhospitable.  Mostly I have been going to lunch at places close to home such as the often mentioned and much praised Maritza's in Maple Shade.  Actually, I was there on Monday and I did visit a place worth noting - the Maple Shade Thrift Shop on the corner in the middle of town at the light.
They had lots of great stuff and I bought a big, beautiful African motif basket for $8 which I plan to give to my daughter.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment