Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

September, National Suicide Prevention Month

Interesting how signing up for a protest against the internment of immigrant children in camps in the Southwest, brought me e-mail from organizations I had never encountered before.

Today one came on suicide which is, of course, connected to gun laws.  At first I thought I didn't know anyone who had ever committed suicide but I remembered a woman I knew whose son had killed himself.  He was at the end of his ability to cope and everyone had grown tired of his ceaseless drama.  His wife had divorced him and she was re-marrying.  Mainly, his loved ones, a brother and a mother and a distant father had taken the "Pull oyourself together and move on" kind of advice.  It isn't substantially different, I think, from what I might have thought and said.  But, so full of despair, he couldn't do that, he went to a motel and overdosed on pills instead.

Sometimes all we need to do is listen with sympathy and empathy and not with judgement, not something I have found it particularly easy to do in the past.  Anyhow I am passing on the e-mail I received today because I think it is worth thinking about - a little kindness today could save someone's life and give that person the peace and calm they need to carry on a little longer.
Everytown for Gun Safety
"Love you, miss you, and blow a kiss."
That's how my dad ended all of our phone calls. I still have the urge to dial his number and talk. I wish I could. But nine years ago, he took his own life with a gun.
September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. My story, and the story of so many others like my dad, are far too common. Claiming the lives of over 22,000 Americans every year, including over 1,000 children and teens, firearm suicide is a significant public health crisis in the US. Nearly two-thirds of all gun deaths in the US are suicides, resulting in an average of 61 deaths a day. It's by far the most lethal method of self-harm; less than 5 percent of suicide attempts using methods other than a gun result in death.
September is a month to remember people like my dad, and to resolve to do what we can to save the lives of others. We can share their stories so they are never forgotten. We can pass stronger gun safety laws that limit access to people in crisis. We can make sure that our loved ones receive the care they need.
My dad was the ultimate caregiver of our family, neighbors and friends. Life has forever changed without him. Now, I end my phone calls with my two sons the same way he did with me: "Love you, miss you, and blow a kiss."
Thank you for helping to spread awareness of firearm suicide this month. And thank you for everything, Dad.
Together, I know that we can end this crisis and save lives.
I love you Dad.
Together we care,
Debbie Weir
National Senior Managing Director, Organizing and Engagement
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
P.S. – If you or someone you know is in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Helpline at 1-800-273-TALK or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741 for free, confidential support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete