Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Christmas Events - Candlelight Tour Red Bank Battlefield

I haven't been posting many events for people to enjoy for the holidays because I assume most people get e-mail notices and most people, (unlike myself) are also on facebook. But I wanted to highlight this one because of my old time long association with the James and Ann Whitall House at Red Bank Battlefield and because it is special to me because of its location beside the mighty Delaware River. The views from the windows of the river remain magical in my memory from my days as a volunteer there, the deep indigo sky at twilight and the way the house and the river bring you back through the centuries to the family who lived in that place in those momentous times in our Revoloutionary history. It is a quiet event - not a problem with parking or crowds - as I recall. And it is a kind of peaceful and warm experience.

If you are unfamiliar with the James and Ann Whitall House at Red Bank Batttlefield, it is in National Park. When I drove there I took the National Park exit off Rt. 130 and drove straight down Hessian Avenue to the park and there is parking both by the Ranger Station and along the River facing lot. Dress warm if you are planning to take a walk along the paths because it is a cold wind that blows over the Delaware.

The Candlelight Tours will be held:

Friday December 8th from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m.

Saturday December 9th 3:00 - 8:00

Sunday December 10th from 4:00 to 7:00

My home is all decorated inside and out for the upcoming holiday as I love the decorations so much I want to enjoy them for my birthday and Thanksgiving. They brighten the dark days of early winter. The storms have been knocking out my outdoor lights somehow, but I push the re-set button at the outlet and they come back on - gotta go do that right away - the wind yesterday was fierce!

Happy Holidays!

Jo Ann

wrightj45@yahoo.com r

No comments:

Post a Comment