Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Batsto, Wharton State Forest

Upcoming Event at Batsto:  The Wharton Homes of the Gilded Age, Sunday Dec. 5, Batsto Visitors' Center Auditorium from 1:00 - 3:00 pm, registration suggested - call 609-561-1665.  Lecture part of Batsto Citizens Committee Iinc. Lecture Series, Bill Schaal lecturer.

On Sunday and Monday, November 14, 15, 2010, I visited Batsto with some friends.   I've been visiting Batsto from my mid-teen years, and it has changed in many ways.  There was that idyllic period post Bicentennial when the workers houses had actual living people making pottery, weaving, carving duck decoys and the fields had sheep, geese, ducks, chickens and the stables housed horses.  In the intervening years, the museum expanded and the village contracted, but the museum is wonderful.  In the late summer, I visited with my nephew who was doing a history project for school.  That gave me the drive to really read the museum walls, where I especially enjoyed the family history/tree segment.

Each time I go, there is something new.  On Sunday, I watched the short and interesting film in the auditoreum.  On Monday, I returned with my camera (which I had left home the day before) because I wanted to photograph the mill, which I had never been inside before, ever!  I took dozens of photos of the gristmill, corn crib, sawmill, stables, iron forge, wheelwright workshop, interiors of workers houses, and the mill dam.  It was a great time to visit, not crowded, wonderful weather, and EVERYTHING open except the mansion.

On Sunday, there was also a MoPar classic car rally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment