Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Gloucester County Historical Society, Woodbury, NJ

Last night from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. members of the Gloucester County Historical Society (17 Hunter St., Woodbury, NJ 09096 856-845-4771) were given a tour of the way to figure out "chains, rods, perches" and other measurements used on deeds.  This was a two part workshop.  The first part, October 28th, dealt with how to use deeds to "establish and confirm" family relationships in genealogy.  The second part was about the terms used and how to actually apply the measurements to figure out the 'lay of the land' so to speak.  Our presenter was Glenn J. Bingham, who teaches at Rowan, among other places. 

So much of our history is preserved and conserved by volunteers, that I felt, after I retired, that I'd "put my hand to the plow" so to speak, and support this effort while I learn the history and how to do genealogy.
Last night, I volunteered to help out at the library.  That will be my fourth formal volunteer committment.  The first is as a helper in the Paulsdale research library, Hooten Rd., Mount Laurel, NJ.  The second is as a tour guide at the James and Ann Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, National Park, NJ.  The third is as a tour guide at the Indian King Tavern, Haddonfield, NJ, and also, I'm helping with the revamping of educational programming with Linda Hess, director.  This is my fourth, and possible final committment other than the facebook page I've just started and this blog.  My job at the Glo. Co. Libr. will be to scan and title photographs so that they can be searched in an on-line database.  I'll start next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment