Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Louisa May Alcott at peachfields

There are a few of my childhood books that had a powerful influence on me and that, when I read them, cast a hypnotic spell, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, was certainly one.  Another was Outdoor Girls on a Hike, along with the Trixie Belden series of mysteries and, of course, Nancy Drew

On Sunday, a friend and I went to Peachfields, 180 Burrs Road, Westampton, Nj 08060, to hear a history theater performer portray Louisa May Alcott.  This was syncronicity at its best because I had just finished reading Susan Cheever's biography of Alcott. 

This day provided a double delight because I am always happy to visit Peachfields, a most beautiful historic house from the early 1700's and I enjoy the living history theater presentations, a number of which I have been lucky enough to have experienced.  So far, I have heard, among others, George and Martha Washington, at Monmouth Battlefield, Clara Barton, and Molly Pitcher, and a few others whose names I can't recall at this moment, several of which I heard at the Indian King Tavern in Haddonfield, such as Abigail Adams. 

It was a bright, sunny, cold day with a coat of snow on the fields around Peachfields.  Peachfields is under the guardianship of the Colonial Dames of America in New Jersey.  They also preserve and give tours of the oldest schoolhouse in New Jersy built in 1759 which is located at 35 Brainerd St. in Mount Holly, NJ.

On March 3rd there will be a presentation on Walt Whitman at Peachfields from 2 to 4.    Harriet Beecher Stow will be featured on April 7th and Mark Twain on May 5th. 

Literature was my first love, before I found the magic in History, so putting the two together is a great delight.  I'll be attending all three presentations.  Make reservations in advance, it gets filled up - call 609-267-6996. 

Tomorrow, I'll post a couple of photos. 

A note on a different subject.  Yesterday I was delighted to sell a painting I have done of Atsion Mansion to Barbara Solem who has been the organizer behind getting the volunteers and putting the time in to give tours of that lovely house for the past year.  It will open again in May.



No comments:

Post a Comment