Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Polish American Deli, Rennemede, NJ

Hello!  I haven't been taking any day trips lately, and my car is in the shop now, so I won't be going anywhere for awhile HOWEVER, before my car broke down, on the way to the Dog Park at Timber Creek, off Chews Landing Rd., I stopped in the Polish American Deli. 
I'm not Polish but my ex-husband was and his mother was an exceptional cook.  She made pierogi's, golumpki's, cherry soup, and any number of other delicious things the names of which I can no longer remember.  
Although I've passed that store a million times, this time, a sign spoke out to me.  It said Pierogi!  So I stopped in and I will tell you now, it isn't open on Monday, so be sure to go on another day.  I couldn't choose which pierogi to get, cheese, potato or sauerkraut, but I've had the others recently so I picked sauerkraut.  I like the contrast of tastes anyhow, the vinegar against the dough.  
In case you haven't ever had Polish food, a pierogi is a lot like a ravioli in that it is a pocket of dough with a filling.  A golumpki is a pepper or cabbage stuffed with a meat mixture  I used to make a vegetarian version that was brown rice - just as good.  But if you want the real deal, stop by the Deli and try some.
For dessert, I bought chocolate cheese rugelach (pronounced Roo gel ah.  So good.  Next time I plan to get the plum rugelach.  
The addres is 125 N. Black Horse Pike, Runnemede, NJ 856-939-9505 and their card says they also have babkas, kielbasy, and take-out and party trays.  Enjoy!
Happy Trails, Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment