Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Cape May County Herald on St. Patrick's Day 2017

Today after having a delightful lunch with my cousin Patty at Mel's Waffle House on Bayshore in the Villa's, I picked up a free copy of the Cape May Herald.  I love these small town newspapers which ALWAYS contain some golden nugget of news for me:

Three bits of interesting information:
1.  Do you remember the Peace Pilgrim of Egg Harbor?  She walked for Peace across America nearly her whole adult life.  There is a sculpture and memorial to her in Egg Harbor.  
Well, South Jersey has spawned two such advocates for peace, apparently.  In the Herald there was an item about John Frances, Phd. aged 71, who has walked an astonishing 36,000 miles for the Environment.  He began after witnessing the devastation from an oil spill in California.  Mr. Francis currently lives in West Cape May but was originally from my own hometown, Philadelphia.  Mr. Francis has walked all over the world to raise awareness of environmental issues and has worked with educational groups as well, as for instance as first education fellow at the National Geographic Society.  He has developed curricula and walking programs all over the country.

2.  Kate Wyatt of the Cape May Historical Society was seeking municipal help to celebrate the centennial of America's entry into World War I in 1917.  There is a memorial and Wyatt simply wanted help to plant a red white and blue garden and to ensure a speaker on Veteran's Day.  We should always honor those who made the greatest sacrifice for our nation, especially on the days designated to do that.  I wish her luck.  Don't forget row opening of the new exhibit on WWI at the Camden Co. Historical Society detailed in a previous blog post.

3.  Finally, I have ALWAYS wanted a fern garden.  First of all my yard is filled with trees and very shady.  Secondly, I love ferns - their old and venerable lineage, their beauty and the way I run into them in odd corners of the forests where I like to hike.  So, over the years I have tried to grow ferns in my yard, so far with no success; perhaps  the information in this article will be the secret ingredient to a new try and a better success rate.  hay scented fern and Christmas fern for my dry and shady yard.  this tip came from Cape Shore Garden's horticulturist, Lauren Popper, a graduate of Temple, but perhaps I can find these ferns closer to home at Platt's Farm in Mickleton, a place worthy of a blog post of its own one of these days.

My advice to you - pick up one of those little local newspapers when you see them, often they are even free.  You may be pleasantly surprised by all the useful information you find inside!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment