Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, July 3, 2017

Two 4th of July Parades 2017

Tonight, Monday, Jul 3, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. Gloucester City, New Jersey will have the local town 4th of July Parade down Broadway, the main street, from the Southern border, around Jersey Avenue northward to near the bridge approach, the northern border.

I will probably attend that parade because one of my oldest friends, since the 1970's, will be Grand Marshall.  Dorothy Stanaitis loves parades and had been in many including Philadelphia's Thanksgiving Parade, the Columbus Parade, and others.  Dorothy has been an exemplary citizen of Gloucester City.  She was Library Children's Program Director for many years, and held the children's story hour.  She was and IS a brilliant storyteller.  She creates an entire program around a story often including clever small give-aways and food items.  She also served on the Citizens' Conflict Resolution committee (by another name I don't recall anymore) for many years, and has participated in the beautiful baby context and Camden County Arts Festival, as a judge.

We know each other because she hired me for a federally funded Outreach Program to bring library services to children in Gloucester City.  I worked in that program for about 8 years until I became a full time teacher, also in Gloucester City.  So that will be a fun parade.

Tomorrow, my own home town for the past 30 odd years, Mount Ephraim will hold its parade, and I will pop over to have a look for a time, then return home to comfort my noise traumatized pets.  I will probably meet up with Dorothy at Roosevelt Avenue.  I usually watch from the corner of my own street, Green Ave. at the 7-11 Convenience store, but this year I may venture a few blocks south and sit with my friend and her family.

Happy 4th of July everyone!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment