Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, August 28, 2017

What To Do and how to find an interest!

When I began this blog back in 2006 or so, I was motivated by a comment I heard from a great many other retiring teachers.  People were saying, amongst their closest friends, in confidence, that they didn't know what they were going to do with themselves without work to go to and with their own kids all grown up and gone.

Among my flaws were a few sterling gifts,  not the least of which is a natural bend towards being 'interested' in things in general.  It has not been uncommon to hear my friends exclaim both in warmth and in irritation: "You're interested in everything!"  Although it isn't true, and there are many things in which I have NO interest, such as business, sports, automobiles (except classic cars) to name just a few, I do get interested in many things and could roll off a list of a dozen with no trouble.

Most of my friends, now entering their 10th year of retirement, have found interests.  Some volunteer at historic sites, such as for example, Barb Solem, who has also written three books about historic sites and is the main force behind the opening for tours of Atsion Mansion.  Some volunteer for animal shelters such as Barb Spector who works for spay/neuter clinics, and two shelters, one for domestic animals and one for wild animals.  Both Barbaras volunteer for information dissemination for the Vegan Society and the Vegetarian Society.  Barb Solem is also in the process of organizing a film festival on Climate Change and animal agriculture in a joint venture between Pinelands Preservation Alliance (another place she volunteers) and the Medford Friends Meeting.  Both Barbaras are also enthusiastic outdoor activity participants.  They hike regularly and kayak.

Another friend, Nancy, is very active in church activities:  Christmas Craft Bazaar, Summer Strawberry Festival, and she, along with a few others, is also active in helping her family.  Some of my friends have grand children and spend time with them.

But that still leaves a few with nothing to do.  Actually only two or three of my friends feel that they have nothing to do.  The rest have settled in to some pattern of interests and activities, or work in areas that give them some pleasure.  One, Dorothy Stanaitis is a tour guide in Olde City Philadelphia (APT) and also is a 'Storyteller' for adults as well as children's programs.  

Lately I have felt a desire to get back to an old old interest of mine, ART.  From the time I was a child, I wanted to draw and paint and it is the major of my second college degree.  But I have spent more time writing than painting since I retired.  So, I did a book course in creativity, specifically in finding and dismantling the blocks against your creative energy, and it worked!  The book was The Artists' Way by Julia Cameron.  Since I did the course through the book (another friend actually attended a 12 week in-person course) I have made 22 paintings, and gotten back in touch with three local art friends from my college days.  One, I meet every 2 weeks for outdoor painting, another I have agreed to volunteer for each Saturday for the next few months to teach Art Journaling.

As part of the chapter exercises in the book, I answered the question, "Is there anything you always wanted to do and have not yet done?"  My answer was MUSIC.  I always wanted to learn to play an instrument.  For Mother's Day, my daughter bought me a ukulele and I have been taking lessons at Collingswood Music with my wonderful teacher Scott, who has taken all the terror out of learning something new.  

This past Saturday, a friend and I went to The Robin's Nest in Mount Holly for lunch then visited Pinelands Folk Music and Basketry Center 31 White Street (just off the mill race) and the fabric workshop Woolbearers, 90 High Street.

Pinelands Folk Center has basketry workshops and music lessons

Wool bearers in Mount Holly, has everything in fibers - knitting crocheting spinning, weaving and it is a fascinating place to visit.  When we were there on Saturday, a man and a woman were knitting together.  I couldn't tell if one was a student and one was a teacher, but the serenity that comes with knitting was permeating the atmosphere.  

And then there are book clubs!  Two of my friends belong to writing groups and three belong to  book clubs.  

So there you have it - looking for a new interest?  
try music - Collingswood Music Shop, one door off Haddon Ave, on the corner next to Bertoli's bakery in Collingswood.
Knitting, Crocheting, weaving - Woolbearers, 90 High Street, 
Mount Holly.
Outdoor Activities:  The Outdoor Club of South Jersey, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Bishop Farmstead (look them up online)
Volunteer to help the animals, contact Barb Spector
Historic Site Docents - always needed at every site, try Whitall House at Red Bank Battlefield, National Park, or contact Barb Solem if you are closer to the pine barrens.  Both Barbaras can be found on Facebook
Art, Main Street Art, Mape Shade, NJ, Diane Paul proprietor
or if you are closer to Collingswood, Perkins Art Center (also located in Mooresown.)
Can't help you with book clubs but you could try your local library.
I might also add, walking in the lovely local parks is great, as is going to the gym - Planet Fitness has a very good deal $10 a month!  And they have a 30 minute full workout room.
Book Clubs
Model Railroading - There is a club that meets in Haddon Heights, I believe there may be sign on the door at the train station there that gives their meeting place and times (may be the Delaware and Schuykill Model Railroad Club?)
Oh yes, another friend, Kathy Maugeri is a master gardener ( can't help you with that as I don't garden, but you can probably find information on-line.) What else?  If you are looking for something to do, adopt a pet - especially a dog - you will take the dog for walks and make new friends in the parks, especially Timber Creek Dog Park a very active dog park.
Did I miss anything?  Let me know wrigjtj45@yahoo.com

And answer this question:  Is there anything you always wanted to do and haven't done yet?  What are you waiting for?
Happy Trails,
Jo Ann
ps.  Stop in at Collingswood Community Center for tips and their local newspaper "What's On"

No comments:

Post a Comment