Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Rancocas Woods and More

Today, Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018, a friend, Dorothy, and I went to Maple Shade for lunch at Maritza's, which I cannot praise highly enough.  The food is good quality ingredients and delicious, always, and the prices are very reasonable.  My favorite is the eggplant parmesan sandwich, which I ONLY every get at Maritza's because I like the eggplant sliced thin and fried crispy and I hate it when it is thick and not cooked and fibrous!  Maritsa's eggplant is PERFECT - cooked exactly as I like it, seasoned perfectly and a very nice toasted roll.

We decided to go for a drive, and as I had found some unique and charming Valentines in a little shop in Rancocas Woods last year, I decided to take a drive out there and see if I could find more.
I didn't locate the little card shop but Dorothy and I spent quite a lot of time in the Antiques and Hand-crafted objects store MADE & FOUND, 118 Creek Road, Rancocas Woods.  The ladies who were there were warm and charming and we had a nice talk about Michael Gabrielle, the author of New Jersey's Diners, and New Jersey Music History, whom I had just heard speak at Burlington County Historical Society last Sunday.

Unusual for me, I didn't buy anything this time as I am trying to hold on to my money a little at present, but I did see things I wanted - stained glass hearts for Valentine's Day for one thing, and I LOVED the bookends made with old pencil sharpeners!  We talked about how it is clever of men to try to find different things to give their beloveds for Valentines' Day, though girlfriends, wives, mothers, and others, always love the red hearts of candy, and flowers, it is nice to be creative and think, bracelet, or necklace from MADE & FOUND, or from MAIN STREET ART, in Maple Shade, where we stopped in briefly to look around.  In fact, ART makes a lovely and unusual gift as well!

Right now I have 4 small paintings on display at Main Street Art, 1.The One Room School, 2.The Railroad Station, 3.Collins Lane Stone Silo, 4.the Historic Dairy Queen Drive-in.  The paintings are 10X12, framed, and ready to hang for $100, so if you are a Maple Shader, or a fan of railroads, or one-room schools, give it a thought!
I will be back in touch with you before Valentine's Day!

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann
ps.  I am CRAZY about log cabins, so you can be sure we drove around and picked the ones we liked best while in Rancocas!  And by the way, I took a photo of a mystery object at the shop.  Do you know what it is?  We couldn't figure it out although Dorothy is a gourmet cook, and I am a big fan of early 20th century kitchen gizmos.

No comments:

Post a Comment