Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

A fun way to spend a rainy May day!

Today, May 19, I had planned to go to either Pitman or Bordertown for their Craft Festivals, BUT, the weather forecast was so forbidding that rather than take a chance on getting caught behind some flooding barrier - Brooklawn Circle, going South, and I don't know what going North, I decided to stay local.

My most frequent rambling' pal is Gail K. and we decided to get lunch at our favorite place, Maritsa's in Maple Shade, on Main Street.  The things I like best about Maritsa's are that the quality of the ingredients in their standard luncheonette fare are superior and delicious, and the prices are more than reasonable.  You can get lunch including sandwich, cup of soup and side for $9.00!  However my most usual favorites are the eggplant parmesan sandwich - which I will only get at Maritsa's, and what I had today, the spinache, feta cheese omelette!  Delicious!

After lunch, it wasn't raining anymore and it looked so nice we decided to follow Main Street out of town towards Moorestown, the out into the countryside to Rancocas Shops on Creek Road.  We visited all the shop up as far as the book store.  I bought one thing - I am always on the lookout for the interesting, unusual thing for my daughter for Christmas and I pick things up all year so I have plenty of fun stuff.  Today I bought a vintage Hershey Park souvenir pennant.  When my daughter was little, her scout trip took summer trips to Hershey Park, and I was a parent/volunteer on the trips.  It was a marvelous and magical time, especially as I look back on it.  

Well after three or four shops, we were  cheered up and inspired and we headed home.  Our rambles usually begin around 11:30 and end around 3:30.  Often my friend, Gail, and old pal from our childhood days in Philadelphia, has places to go in the evening, unlike me, the nighttime stay-at-home.  

Unfortunately, I decided to go to Barnes & Noble after I walked the dog, to pick up a couple of Art magazines I can only get there.  I had forgotten it was Saturday.  In the peace of uncrowded shops at Rancocas and the uncrowded roads of the countryside I had forgotten how hectic it is at the Garden State Mall.  People were vying for the few parking spots that opened up in the filled parking lot, and I had to circle half a dozen times until one opened up for me.  That one hour at Barnes and Noble was exhausting and tiresome especially in contrast with the peace and cosy warmth of browsing the charming shops at Rancocas.

Here's to you my rambling' boy!  Do you remember that folk song? It has been going through my mind all day!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment