Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day Picnic 2018

For today, I should probably be posting Memorial Day evens but I haven't finished the Sunday papers yet and I don' know what' going on.  I do know that Saturday was May Fest in Collingswood and the Classic Car Show, but I only know because I was walking my dog in Knight's Park, as we do every day, my brown Lab Trixie and me, and I saw all the cars parked and the people walking towards Haddon Ave.  I am not one for crowds in general and although from time to time on a holiday, I will brave the throng, yesterday was so peaceful and green in the park, I wouldn't have traded it for the hustle and bustle of Haddon Ave.

What I wanted to mention today was your Memorial Day Picnic menu!  I am not a cook and rarely do cook HOWEVER as you may recall I began this blog when my fellow teachers, all retiring at roughly the same time, were talking about wondering what they would do when they didn't work any more.  Since I had gone first and had more things to do than days in the week to do them, I promised I would post them so they could refer to this blog for ideas. 

Well, here is something new to the blog that I think is worth adding, healthful eating.  Lately I have watched at least three documentaries on Netflix about our obesity epidemic in America and the resulting health crisis older Americans are facing with diabetes and heart disease, not to mention less disastrous be related issues such as knees going bad from the strain of carrying 50 or more extra pounds around every day.

The three latest docs I have watched are:  Take Your Pill, Hungry for Change, and Fat to Finish.  I have been interested in nutrition and ecology since the 1970's when I became a vegetarian (which I still am- though I lean toward vegan eating now.)  

Most of my friends are vegetarians, the healthy ones.  Anyhow some of the things they talk about in these new docs on health and food as medicine, are the addictive nature of sugar and the disease producing inevitability of processed foods.

On my coffee table right now is an article from last week's Sunday Courier Post about Ironman Triathletes who have switched to vegan diets to improve their conditioning.  

I will talk more about this at other times, but for now I thought I would share my menu for today - an old artist friend from college is coming over to do some yard work and we are having a Memorial Day picnic after the lawn is mowed.  

Veggie burgers - with smoked gouda cheese (almond milk based)
Salad - (baby kale leaves, mushrooms, black olives and a cranberry vinaigrette)
for dessert - strawberry, banana smoothies with apple

No triglicerides, no cancer causing additives, no sugar - just healthful and delicious!

For Memorial Day itself I alway like to remember and thank my grandfather Joseph Lyons who served in World War I, my father, Joseph Wright who served in World War II in the navy, and my brother, Joe, who was a marine and served in Vietnam.  I, myself, have been a peace activist, but I thank everyone who served our country for keeping it free so we could all live our own individual conscience!

Happy Trails, happy meals!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment