Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Animal Adoption

This past week, all my time has been taken up by getting acclimated to my new dog companion, Uma.  She came to me via an e-mail photo from an animal volunteer friend, Barb Spector.  

Uma was at Camden County Animal Shelter on County House Rd. in Sewell, and I want to note both the friendly assistance to me and the visible  compassion and kindness towards animals displayed by the staff there.  

My longtime and totally perfect animal companion, Trixie, a gorgeous Lab and Weimaraner Mix, had been adopted from the Animal Orphanage in Voorhies several years ago.  She came with everything you could wish for in a dog, good manners, great leash walking skills, complete trustworthiness and friendliness towards my cats.

Sadly, so far, Uma and I are working on the cat situation.  She also was a bit of a struggle on the leash, lots of pulling, lunging and veering off, but I found a great aid - the "No Pull Harness."  It was like a miracle!  The first time I put it on her, her walking was radically improved.  We still struggle in the park, just too many distractions and she gets overwhelmed wit excitement, but we walk a mile every morning and a mile each evening in the neighborhood and she walks perfectly!  So if you have a dog that pulls on the leash, measure the chest circumference and get one of those harnesses.  You can buy them at PetSmart (I did) and also through amazon.com where there is a larger selection and they cost a bit less especially if you have prime and don't pay shipping.  I had to buy two because the first one was too large and I couldn't adjust it to fit properly.  The second is perfect and was $10 less.

I am sorry I don't remember the details of the hour for the Camden County Animals Shelter but another benefit is "same day" adoption.  I was there when they opened at 11:00 a.m. last Tuesday and left with my new pal by 1:30 p.m.  

The week before, my beloved friend, Trixie, died of a stroke.  If you have lost your doggie companion, honor the memory of that love by sharing the love with a dog who needs a home AND Please! adopt from a shelter and don't support puppy mills or breeders.  We are euthanizing a million homeless dogs who need your love and shelter.  Also, consider donating to Animal Charities at the holidays.  I give to Allie Cat Allies (you'll need to look up their info) and to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and Best Friends, 5001 Angel Canyon Rd., Kanab, Ut 84741, to name just a few.  I donate on my father's and mother's birthdays in the summer and at Christmas.

Happy Trails and Happy Tails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment