Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, June 22, 2018

Dog Training

Since I advised you on a good shelter to adopt a dog, I thought it only fair to give you some tips on a good dog trainer.

My last dog, Trixie, came perfectly behaved and didn't need any kind of training.  To be honest, I spoke to her as though she were a person and I felt certain during all the time we shared that she understood what I was saying.  As the old saying goes, however, "The Good die Young."  And my good Trixie died after only five years together.  It broke my heart.  I loved her so much.

Any person who lives as long as I have endures a good deal of disappointment, and heartbreak, and loss.  It is a part of living.  Fortunately for me, a much bigger part of living has been joy, surprise, anticipation, enthusiasm and a daily appreciation of simple wonders.  I am a happy person, but my dog helped me stay happy.  I never felt lonely when I had my pal to keep me company and I always felt safe.  I used to joke to my friends that with Trixie in the house I could sleep at night with the windows open and I do enjoy fresh air.  Always, I would prefer to have the windows open and a nice outdoor breeze, to air conditioning, which has a tomb like clamminess and doesn't bring in the fragrance of honeysuckle or new mown grass.

Well, anyway, I got the ashes of my old life delivered last week and engaged in the challenges of my new life.  My new animal pal, Uma is truly beautiful, but she did not come fully equipped with good manners like my old pal.  Soon, I discovered that she didn't walk well on the leash, and she chased my cats.  I feel certain that in her old home no effort was made to interact with her and she doesn't respond well to language, but she is smart, so I put out feelers for a good trainer.

First I called my vet, Dr. Ed Sheehen, Sheehen Veterinary Center, also a recommendation of mine for companionate and experienced care.  They gave me a number of a trainer they recommended who had trained the receptionists dog.  I left a message, next day I left another message.  Things were getting dire at my house.  I wasn't used to dealing with the continuing warfare between the cats and the dog and trying to walk her was killing my knee.  She definitely couldn't walk in the park - too stimulating and she was too strong for me to control.

Next I went to Pet Smart in Barrington but they couldn't see me until mid July.  Their training was at P.S. and in small groups for $120.  Then I went to Pet Co in Brooklawn and met a very nice and helpful young woman I liked.  Also on site training only, $290 for one to one dog training, and $120 for group an we would have to wait for a group to form.  But she could take me in a week for one to one.

But I really felt like I wanted training in my own home.  A friend who does a lot of volunteer work for shelters told me a friend of hers had highly recommended the trainer who helped her with her shelter dog who had a lot of problems.  She got her number.  I called and Janice Barlow actually answered the phone.  She said she would be able to come out the next day!  Janice was formerly the trainer who trained the people who worked at Pet Smart!  She works with a partner, Shirley Mauritania, who is also a certified AKC Evaluator.  

"Training Wheels" was the most expensive of the options at $400 for 6 weeks and a guarantee to return for free if needed.  Since it offered ALL that I had wanted, I asked if they could take the fee in two payments so I could pay on paydays and not on credit card, and they were willing to do that.  

Janice was calm and friendly and put both me and Uma at our ease.  She worked on leash training, "Leave it" and not jumping.  Something she said stuck in my mind, "The first week is the honeymoon period so don't be surprised if new thins come up in week two."  She also said I could call her at any time.  I practiced the techniques she showed me with good success on the jumping, some success on the leash walking, but no success as yet on "Leave it."  Uma, like a kid, was on her best behavior for the company and reverted to her willful yet lovable self after Janice left.

And the new came up this morning.  though she had a walk last night and half an hour in the yard with me, I found a reeking pile on the floor this morning in the living room.  Also, I discovered when I went to the post office around the corner, that Uma can either jump the fence in the yard or has found a secret escape route, as a neighbor phoned me to say she was wandering the neighborhood and he had brought her home.

I'll let you know how it progresses.  Would I still adopt Uma - you bet!  Do I have faith that things will improve?  Yes, I do!  They always have.  And, I made a list of all the bad things dogs I have known in the past did, that Uma does not do - 1. She does not knock over the trash, 2. Go in the kitty litter, 3. Chew furniture and one of my worst past pet experiences 4. She doesn't dig out the center of the furniture cushions!  That was just a sample of a list of about15 things she does NOT do.  And as for the ones she does, well, we will work on it and time is on my side as is Janice Barlow of Training Wheels!

Happy Trails alongside your Happy Tails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment