Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Raining Cats and Rats & More

On my latest visit to The Fair Trade Lady hope on Station Ave. in Haddon Heights, I found out she had written a fascinating memoir of her time in China as an English as a Second Language instructor to Chinese teachers learning English.  She lived in a northern border town across the river from Siberian Russia.  

I strongly recommend that you try the breakfast burrito at Local Links and stop by afterward to browse amidst the treasures of the world gathered for your perusal at The Fair Trade Lady shop, and if, like me, you enjoy a good adventure story, buy her book - Raining Cats and Rats!  Also, you might want to stock up on gift bags.   I give all my gifts in cloth gift bags now instead of paper wrap, it is not only easier, more charming and more memorable, it is more ecological and the bag is a gift that can be used and used again.

I am always amazed at the adventures of people you meet when you take the time to have a conversation with them.  

Speaking of adventures, Donna Gottardi of The Fair Trade Lady shop reminded me that this Saturday evening is the Witches Ball in Mount Holly.  Get out your broom, your wizard cape, your witches hat and fly on over!  I wish I could but I have my 55th high school reunion that day and not enough magic to be in two places at once.

Today, my new adoptee, Uma, and I had our lesson with Steve Spence, Zen Dog Training expert.  I mentioned him in an earlier post but recently I noticed that copied and pasted posts from Visit South Jersey, seemed to have wiped out all my previous posts through some black magic of html, so I had to delete them.  You can get on the mailing list for visit South Jersey on your own and you should, but I tried to put the link on here and more mayhem ensued so try to find your way on your own - sorry!

Meanwhile, if you need help with a fractious pup, I strongly recommend Steve Spence.  He was recommended to me by my vet's office and Dr. Sheehen is a well respected, indeed, well loved local vet - another good recommendation for you if you have a pet. Steve has been working with my excitable Huskador for about a month and she is a new person.  So am I!  Today, I learned how to get her walking/training collar on without getting mauled and trampled by her explosion of excitement.  

Steve, too, has a fascinating story, and has been working with dogs and dog training since he was in his early teens.  He trains police dogs, therapy dogs, has a dog camp, and works miracles.  You can find him on Facebook where you can also find The Fair Trade Lady, and probably Local Links - that breakfast burrito - mmmmm!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann







No comments:

Post a Comment